Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'95 6.5 pickup... good idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noJeepshere, Dec 21, 2006.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

im in the market for a new vehicle, and spied a 95 chevy with the 6.5 TD at kbb.com. it has 150000 miles and a good review, all for 6500 obo. is that a good deal, or should i look further? my parents want me to buy their car (no ways) and i need something that can make it to alaska. id post this in the diesel forum, but i have to be a paying member to do that. any help will be appreciated. thanks.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have had good service out of mine. Not quite the puller a Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke will be, but decent mileage and good power after a few mods. Pay up for the diesel forum here for the support you might need, check out Towrig.com (sister site), and also swing by dieselplace.com for lots of good info. Email (jac6695 at gmail.com) me if you have any up front questions.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'd say 6500 sounds a little too high. I wish my '97 K2500 w/6.5 was worth that.
    Even in good shape, I think 4k is more like a price for 150k 11year old truck.

The 6.5 is a good motor, if it's taken care of well. Do the cooling upgrade (dual t-stats, allows more coolant to flow, '96up had it from the factory), and keep the fuel filter changed.
    I've got 200k mi on mine, and it's still running like a champ. 17-20mpg, tows good, is reliable, and generally just a good motor.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Is it a 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

5. noJeepshere

its a 3/4 ton. i wish i could afford the duramax, but im just off a mission and have no money do get that. this old thing will stretch the budget anyways. no d-max for a few years. kbb rated it at $6000 for what it is. i think ill offer 4 large and comprimise in between. thanks guys

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've found that KBB rates the diesel pickups a little high than what I see them sell for. I'd say that 6.5 would relistically be a grand or more less than what KBB says.

7. noJeepshere

I called them and i think about 5 grand is what ill settle on in the end. im really going to like this place.