Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

95 BMW M3 or 1999 Trans Am WS6??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wakedog, May 6, 2002.

1. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

If you had a choice what would it be??

2. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

ws6 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Aaron

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

No doubt about it, the WS6.

If was an M5, I'd take the M5. And M3's a fine automobile, but definately not as fun as an LS1 powered F-Body.

6. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Having driven my dad's '95 M3 and his 2000 Camaro Z28 I would have to say the M3 is alot more fun, even though its not quite as quick as the Camaro (which I mention because the driving experiance is probly pretty similar to the WS6). The M3 handles better than anything, absolutely responsive. The Camaros loads of fun too but I tend to go for the M3 if I have a choice. If I was to buy one of them from him (which I might when I get out of school) I might still go for the Camaro just because its newer.

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Definitely the WS6! I have a SS Camaro and it will absolutely embarass a M3. The handling of the two cars is very comperable, but the acceleration of the f-body is far superior. The WS6 is the right choice!

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

WS6
    No doubt about it.

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

WS6! ALL the way!!

John

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The WS6 is probably the most fun from a brute torque perspective. But the Beemer is probably better in the twisties. One other thing to consider is that Beemers hold their value very well, while Trans Ams don't.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, check with the insurance man first. I nearly bought a GTA a few years ago. I was drooling over it until I found out that it would cost $200 a month just for insurance. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I have to chime in - <font color=red>WS6!!!</font color=red> It will make that M3 look stupid if racing is what you are looking for... now if you're lookin' to pickup some wimmins with this car, go for the Beamer... its a GIANT chick magnet! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just my .02
    -Dan

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Nothing outhandles the M3 on a roadcourse. Watch the races someday, you will not see a V8 Powered Camaro or Corvette even close to an M3. Now, at the dragstrip, the WS6 wins, but not on the roadcourse. I drive a 318I and it handles like a dream. Of course, I stick to the posted speed limits -right Mr Frisbie?

14. Mr.Chevy4x4

I beg to differ! Have you been watching the road coarse races lately? The Z06's are dominating and most of them only have mild modifications. Most of the M3's that you see are heavily modified. What kind of skid pad numbers are the M3's pulling in STOCK form? I have seen 1.02g from a stock Z06 with R1 tires.

Give me that adreniline rush of the V8 torque!

15. Mudzer

Uhh, sorry, the M3 does have a 4.0 liter V8 in the race cars. Anyway, here is a link to what I was talking about. Read it, a BMW won the first GT race this year. No Camaro or Corvette. Just posting facts.

www.grand-am.com/news2.cfm?id=115

I also read that the BMW will be withdrawling from the ALMS season because of a rule change which will hurt the performance of the car. See, they are too fast so the guys try to ween them out by rules.

16. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Let me clarify what I previously posted... by RACING, I meant drag racing! I'll never argue that a WS6/SS could out handle the M after just test driving the '02 M3 at a local dealer. The dealer MADE us take a turn at 55mph! That figgin car hugged that turn very tight... not even a chirp of a tire! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Course it ought to for the $70k the convertable will run you! Couldn't stomach the $1300 payments, so we gave the keys back... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

-Dan

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BMW's are impsooible to work on. WS6

18. Mr.Chevy4x4

You are comparing a RACE version of the M3 to Camaros and Corvettes. Let an M3 get a little taste of Lingenfelters Vette that ran a mid 9 second quarter mile and has had just as much attention paid to the handling.

"See, they are too fast so the guys try to ween them out by rules." Give me a break! If they were racing anything close to what they were selling the car wouldn't even be competitive!

If you have ever worked on a BMW or had to buy parts for one you would probably be singing a different tune.

I still say that dollar for dollar the LS1 F-body is the best performance buy on the market!

My $.02

19. Mudzer

Not comparing anything but true facts. Check the websites and give us a post of any info leading us to believe the WS6 is superior to any BMW on the roadcourse. Until you can, my factual opinion stands!

20. Mr.Chevy4x4

I believe the original question was about production versions of the cars, not RACE CARS! You go get you a STOCK M3 and I will meet you at Road Atlanta and we will see what happens. In stock form the WS6 is a better performer than the BMW. Go find some stock performance figures and then we will talk FACTS.

My older brother is an officer in the Air Force and is stationed in Germany right now. He has a 1995 ZR1 Vette and has had the opportunity to flex his American muscle on the Autobaun(sp?) against several foreign performance cars. The only car that has been faster so far was a Turbo Porsche. He is considering buying an M5, but only so he can bring it back to the States and make some money off of it.

I'm American! I buy American when ever possible!