Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

95 gmc 3500 hd

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 85gmcOD, Nov 28, 2006.

1. 85gmcOD

85gmcOD Registered Member

i looked ata chassi truck today.. its a 95 gmc 3500 hd it doesnt have a box or anything on it and the 6.5 diesel motor is bad.. cna be fixed... and the trans has been rebuilt... truck doesnt have much rust at all and s pretty clean for a work trucl.. i was thinking of just swappin in a 454 or a 350 mated to a th400 and call it done... the truck also costs 1200 to purchase... all i want it for is to tow my truck and a backhoe any comments on this body style truck.. thanks

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know of any light backhoe's, so I would recommend going with a 454. Or replacing the diesel. Either of those engines will be good for about 10K trailer weight. If you need more capacity, I'd say look for a newer diesel. As for tranny, I'd go with the 4L80E. Thats a real stout trans. These trucks are good vehicles and ride nice. The longer the wheelbase the smoother the tow. Good luck with it!

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I would just rebuild what's in it if youre on a budget. I've kicked around the idea of purchasing one- preferably a crew cab, and putting a Cummins in it. Put a bed on it, clean it up, and use it as a tow rig. With the leaf springs up front, putting a Dana 60 or 70 up front is even easier.