Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

95 Neon Help

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My starter is having issues (this is not the first time, it's keeps happening). The connection from the starter to the, well, I'm not sure where (it's (4) maybe the ignition)? It totally melts and blows out after 1-2 days when I fix it (2). I have to booty fab it to go anywhere. By the time I get home it's already melting and burning (2). Not only was that blown the connection on the starter (1) was loose from it burning and messed up. For the first time too, it affected the negative side of the battery (3). Not much, but you can see it's sort of melted a bit. WTF could be causing this? I am at my wits end. My car seems to running fine aside from this. Any ideas about what could be doing this? I am saving up for a car and my mom plans to help me out, but I need this to last me (God willing) another few months! Thanks.

[​IMG]

Side view of the engine...

[​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Damn, don't know what too tell you about that one. So to hijack just alittle, what kinda car are you getting next ??? I'm looking at a few Olds Alero's. Kinda like them.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Two things come to mind. An internal short in the starter. Had it happen to me before and I was having the same problems. Or You have an alternator problem. The one You list as #4 should be going from the starter to the alternator. If I were You I would have both the starter and alternator checked for shorts and do another check of the rest of the wiring.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I want something pre 74 and Chevy. If I can't go that way, then a Honda car or Toyota truck (I would perfer). I found a great local dealer my mom bought from and I can buy an extended warrenty on anything with less then 50k on it.

Corey, this issue has happened a time or two with other starters. I think the alt is bad. Only bad thing this car has the alt in a crap location so testing is a pain. I'm breaking down this week and going to a shop I had recommended to me by a friend to see what they say.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If its only melting the starter- I'll have to check on my dad's 95 neon, but it could be something rather stupid like a relay or fusable link. I would definately try and do a continuity check from the starter, see if the thing is just sucking energy. However, if it was, you probably would have noticed a lot of dead battery situations.

Short of that, there really is nothing else that could be doing it- unless there is a positive terminal/attachment somewhere which is intermittantly shorting this sucker out.

Let me know if you need any pics.