Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

95 Neon Help

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 7, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Any way to check for a blown head gasket without having to take the engine apart? Tonight when I was driving home... everything was fine. Pulled up to a light and saw steam.. so I pulled into a lot. Popped the hood and nothing... so I got in and went down a side street. Then a ton of steam poured out. I stopped popped the hood again and now collant was pouring from the bottom of the radiator area. While it had coolant in it I got back in and drove to my grandma's house since it was right there almost. I got there and it never over heated even puking out coolant. I popped the hood and searched and saw no broken hoses. Being so low to the ground I couldn't see well where it was coming from not to mention the collant on everything wasn't helping. I had it towed and the guy suggested it's my head gasket. I'm gonna pull the rad and see if it has a hole. If not then I will stick it back in and do a pressure test right? What can I tell from this? Anyhow any help or ideas would help me a lot. Thanks!

Steph
    (aka Gods nightmare to things with tires [​IMG])

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I know antifreeze in the oil (chocolate milk on the dipstick) is a sign of a dead head gasket. A bubbling sound coming from the heater when you accelerate is another sign. Oil droplets circulating in the radiator and overflow tank are signs too.
    I <font color=red>think<font color=black> if the head gasket was blown badly enough to release the large quantities of steam you described, you'd probably be able to see a chunk of it dangling/missing from the cylinder head-engine block joint. But I don't know that for sure...
    Maybe the block blew a freeze plug out? Does the lower rad hose clamp onto a transfer tube (piece of pipe leading to the water pump) that runs between the exhaust manifold and block? My old '93 Plymouth Laser (with the 1.8L) leaked a little from this tube, and sometimes the leakage hit the manifold. Maybe the block cracked at a water jacket? Some stuff to ponder for you.

Ken

<font color=blue>America--Land of the Free, Home of the Brave<font color=black>

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Allot of times when a head gasket goes you see white exhaust smoke . I wonder if maybe the radiator isn't plugged ? Also with a head gasket it will heat up faster then normal . take the radiator cap off and run it till it warms up and watch to see if there are any bubbles or if it tries to come out the filler . Question ...did you just have antifeeze changed before you drove it ??? With new cars they get airbubbles that keep coolant from circulating and car can over heat and bubble over

4. ChevyCaGal

I can't check for bubbles the coolant has drained out all the way... I think there's a hole in the rad is my guess.... but I am not gonna take it out tonight. But the car never over heated even draining out like a waterfall. Simply got just above 3/4 up there and that's it. I drove it like 3/4's of a mile max after I first saw the stuff coming out (and when I parked it it had stuff in there draining out). Never acted real weird, why I did it. If it had done something I would have pulled right over. But I wasn't thrilled with the idea of being in the neighborhood I was in when I first saw it with night time approching.... anyhow no chocolate milk on the dipstick, no oil in the over flow and the area around the head gasket looks ok and intact. Might even be a hose.... but it's so dark and the work light is casting shadows so it's hard to see because coolant is still all over.... thanks for the help this far........

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When you have a massive coolant loss the temp guage will lie to you. The end of the guage is no longer submerged in coolant...it's now surrounded by air. Sounds like you blew a hose or the rad ended up with a hole.

A head gasket can cause exhaust pressure in the coolant syatem pushing coolant out the overflow...but usually when it's gone that bad it will run noticeably different. There is also a tester you can buy that can check for the presence of exhaust in the coolant while the car is running.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Steam usually indicates an external leak (cut or leaking hose, hole in radiator, leaking thermostat housing, leaking water pump etc.). A externally leaking head gasket could cause steam, but since you said you saw water down by the radiator, it is not as high of a possibility and would mean good news to you $$ wise.

I replaced a head gasket in NoAngel's Corsica 2.2 L (known for Head Gaskets in all GM's) not too long ago and it is the same vintage as your car.
    Her head gasket was blown but no steam was coming out, but I did see a little antifreeze trail on the block where it was oozing out a head bolt, low oil, and chocolaty dipstick (thinning out the oil and being combusted....not good).
    A blown head gasket will usually send antifreeze into the combustion chamber (which goes unnoticed as the coolant level lowers gradually with no signs of leaks, unless it's really bad and whitish smoke will come out the exhaust), or it will leak externally and you will see a trail where the head meets the intake or block, or it will ooze out a head bolt. Since it is a pain to do, I would check other obvious (since you see steam) and easier to fix culprits (hoses, radiator, etc.).

As with most things though, it is best to eliminate the obvious and/or easy and go from there. I would "recommend" you have the radiator hoses and heater hoses replaced (it's about that time anyway), replace the thermostat, and flush the whole cooling system (radiator, heater core, block, reservoir, etc) which is easy with the kit from Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. Because of the age of the vehicle and I'm "assuming" the fluid was not flushed before (recommended annually) it is a good idea to do all of these (also to eliminate future problems.....ounce of prevention sure beats a pound of cure). While all the hoses are disconnected bring the radiator down to a garage or facility that pressure tests them to see the condition of yours. If it leaks you may have to replace it (depending on the problem it may or may not be able to be fixed if leaking), I'm not familiar with Neon's but most newer cars have plastic tank radiators that can only be fixed in certain ways.

Replacing the water pump may be a good idea too, as a bad pump can cause you to overheat and cause $$ in damage. It's up to you. If it is just a hole in the rad, I would leave it alone (unless you have the extra $$) and replace the hoses at least. If you have to replace the head gasket, I would definitely change the water pump and depending on the amount of teardown that motor requires it may be a good time to replace the timing belt/chain (if equipped) if they have to tear down that far (as you won't be paying any additional labor), but again it depends on the type of vehicle.

If you do have to do the head gasket and want to try it. Send me a PM. I have a few mechanic friends that should know what's involved with doing the Neon's.

These things will help nomatter what (since you are loosing coolant from somewhere). A head gasket is not a bad job, but it can be time consuming and expensive (if you have someone else do it) so eliminate the other items first. NoAngel's cost a couple hundred (including replacing the water pump since it was about that time) just in parts (new head gasket, new head bolts/single torque, new thermostat, and gasket, new heater hoses, new radiator hoses, flush kit, water pump lube, replaced water pump while I had everything apart, and $100 for machining the head and EGR/thermostat housing which is a good idea when replacing a leaking head gasket on aluminum heads). That was with my discount on parts from GM and NAPA for her car. The parts weren't bad but the $100 for machining really hurt (You may not have to machine the head but it was recommended on the GM 2.2 as they had problems). Without it, it would have been a little over $100, and that was replacing everything while I was in there. Again parts (espeacially the water pump) MAY add up.

All the above mentioned items (hoses, thermostat, radiator) you should be able to do in your driveway. Refill the system with water (just in case you have leaks you won't be waisting money or hurting the environment ***as long as you don't have freezing temps*** or remember to drain it) and run it and keep an eye on the level. If after the radiator is checked, new hoses, and thermostat are replaced and it still low on coolant, you then may consider the head gasket. ****What ever you do, do not let it overheat if the fluid gets low, as the head will warp****
    If all checks out well and it holds water and no exhaust gasses are noted in the full radiator, then drain and refill with 50/50 mix (or whatever is recommended for your climate).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Everything he said!! Also, I believe the early neon 4's were known for head gaskets at a certain mileage, but I can't remember what the mileage was. Is 95 an early neon? I don't remember when they came out. A buddy I had worked for a chrysler dealer a couple years after they came out and did a lot of warranty work on neons. On a positive note, he said it was a super-fast job.

I don't think it's your head gasket, though. Sounds more like a cooling system leak. There is a chemical test you can run on the coolant to detect the presence of exhaust or oil in it. I can't remember squat about it right now, but if you call a knowledgable parts place and ask for it, they should know.

Good luck!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

8. ChevyCaGal

It was my rad... dumb thing had a hole in it... I took it to a place and had them do it. Fricken thing was $200, and labor $100 (I was in a wreck and the body shop really screwed over how they fixed it so it took him forever to get it out- I couldn't even get it out!).... I was gonna do it myself but my jack for the Blazer didn't fit the Neon (too big) plus I had to work and didn't have time to do it. I was gonna go buy a set with a jack and stands just for it, make the time, but for $75 screw it.... I just had it done. I hate this car, last thing I wanna do is buy tools for it when I hope to have it gone in a few months. BTW for anyone with a Neon check the fans really well. Mine was cracked all to heck. Cheap piece of plastic trash missing blades. That I replaced myself but what a pain argh....!!

Suck Fumes Ford Boy

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> We had 95 Neon too and I'll tell you right now ...... you're going to have a head gasket job done before too long ..... they used very sub-par gaskets in the beggining and they have a notice at the dealership about it..... they paid for our to get done ....... it will start as a small leak near the rear passenger side of the intake. Drop me a line anytime about Neons ...... I swear, we've seen it all with ours !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Do you have a shop manual for it yet ? If not, give me your address and I'll mail it to you for free !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

And just think...the company that made that car also makes big bad trucks *rolls eyes*

I'm starting to think that everything Dodge makes falls apart. Anything after '93. I know a guy who has a '98 truck that he babies and it's falling apart.

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

12. ChevyCaGal

No.... I don't have one... that'd be cool! Thanks! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

13. ChevyCaGal

My friend has a 99 V10 extended cab pick up... it's very comfy to ride in... you can load up a shed in the back and drive it home.... but stuff was coming off of it. Little goofy things. I figure if you can't do silly stuff like make trim that stays on, seat belts that work right, how can you build the harder things? What I have seen of Dodge and their products I am not very impressed aside from the Cummins....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> O.k. ........ so where do I mail it ?

L8r,

15. ChevyCaGal

To my house of course! [​IMG]

Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

use it for an rti ramp for your blazer

pics page
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292257869&show_all=1&start=1>http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292257869&show_all=1&start=1</a>

always gets me home K10 STEPSIDE

17. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Why dont the punks just steal that and take care of it [​IMG] Maybe they'd leave the K5 alone !

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I agree !

L8r,

<font color=purple> monkeys steal my underwear at night

19. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Hey Steph,
    did you want to sell it?

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

20. ChevyCaGal

No.... I actually am gonna keep it for now. But when I get the Blazer going I will either sell it or just keep it in case my mom or I need a car for the day because of a repair. It's paid for so might be a good thing to do. Although, like Paul said... if someone stole it I'd not be heart broken. A guy almost rear ended me a few days ago... I honestly was hoping he would. If they totalled it out I could afford to fix some stuff for good on the truck that keeps messing me up.... !

"Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"