Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

95 Tahoe Transfer Case Problem

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by quietflight6, Apr 8, 2002.

1. quietflight6

quietflight6 Newbie

I'm a newbie when it comes to 4X4's so please cut me some slack if I sound like a jackass. Here's the problem.

When I want to get into 4wheel Low ( I have an automatic by the way) I put the truck in Neutral and shift the transfer case in the 4Low. Then I put it in drive. When I put in drive and I begin to give it some gas, the transfer case jumps out of 4Low in to Neutral. It won't stay into 4Low.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is my 4Low screwed up? The 4HI works fine, when I shift in 4HI the transfer case even lights up that it's in 4wheel drive.

My truck is a 95 Tahoe K1500 2dr.

Please Help.

2. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Try shifting it into 4Lo like the manual says. Be rolling about 3mph and shift your tranny into neutral. Then swiftly shift your transfer case into 4Lo. Thats what it says to do. Its worked for me. Good luck.

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

thats how i shift into 4lo and i've never had trouble. maybe your linkage is a bit off.

4. lt1yj

lt1yj 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with my 241 popping out of gear. I took it apart and found the little plastic sleeves that fit over the shift fork were gone and the mode shaft (the part that moves between high and low range) was wearing into the shift fork. The play in the mode shaft was enough to let it pop out of gear. The mode shaft splines were rounded over on the end from popping out of gear. I had to replace the mode shaft, the little plastic pieces and I should have replaced the shift fork. I could not find one and thought the wear was minimal enough that I could get by. I later replaced it anyway when I put the short shaft kit in.

Mine was happening in Hi range, but it could be the adjustment on the shift rail. The same problem could be happing to you in low range.

I don't know how to tell you to check for this problem without taking your case apart though.

5. quietflight6

quietflight6 Newbie

I'm going to get a Chiltons and try to see if the T-case shifter inkage needs to be adjusted. I just bought the truck and the previous owner said that they have only used the 4x4 once in the last 5 years. Hopefully the problem is only this minor.

Thanks guys for your help.