Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'96+ diesel burbs?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by thezentree, Oct 11, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

\'96+ diesel burbs?

since i do a lot of driving now (4 hour trips weekly), i need to start thinkin about something that gets a little better mileage than my 97 yukon. dont say the h(onda) word, cause i still need 4wd and towing abilities.

anyway, i was out driving on the beach today and i passed a diesel suburban 2500. it had what i think were 305s on it, and it looked badass. and its got a diesel and big axles and trannys and all the goodies a kid could ever want. it looks like a great tow/travel rig (perfect for those surf expeditions /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif ) and a great (for a truck) DD.

so, when i got home this afternoon, i started lookin around, and from KBB.com, it looks like one of these things is in my price range (assuming i can sell the yukon for what they usually go for around here). what are some opinions on these things? it'd be the 6.5L TD, what kind of mileage do they get? do they last anywhere near as long as a properly maintained cummins? i know jack schitt about these motors, so if anyones got any info, it'd be much appreciated.

oh, and does OBD II apply to diesels?

anyway, do those of you who have had experience with these trucks think it'd be worth trading my yukon for? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

thanks

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: \'96+ diesel burbs?

From the way I understand things, the 97+ are the best years, with the best cooling systems, and so on. 96 isnt a bad year either. 95 was the first year with the "updated" interior trim.

depdning on gearing, 6.5 TD's can get anywhere from 15mpg to 25mpg, depending on your driving habits, lift, tire combo, etc.

Depending on how it was maintained, the 6.5 could see mileage in exceess of 250k- the blocks have a little weakness, but they have a brace for it. Most of the time, the block outlasts the injection pump. I've heard most diesels are junked when the pump goes (applies for the 6.5's and the 6'2 alot.).

I personally like the blocks a lot. Their are a light duty Diesel, and as such, your lugging a much smaller block around. Think about a SBC vs a BBC. Yes, the BBC will do everything better, but the daily livability of it may kill you. (cost, noise, etc).

3. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay [cracking knuckles]

Questions you did ask:

All GM vehicles (and all domestics 97+) are OBD II, and that includes the 6.5TD. Expect a solid 250,000-300,000 miles out of a well maintained 6.5L. Par for a DS4 injection pump is around 100,000 miles, but I have seen them go longer. Most 3/4 tons get between 15 & 17 mpg.

Questions you didn't ask:
    You can tune the hell out of these things. Assuming that you start with a mechanically sound motor, you can program, boost fool, toss on an exhaust, and with a few other mods get 500 + lb-ft.

92 & 93 were mechanically injected with a DB2 pump; 94 & 95 were OBD I and electronically injected with a DS4 pump.

96 engine were the last non oil-spray blocks with the 97 engines showing up late in 96. Upgraded cooling in 97 got you a 130 gpm water pump, and a dual thermostat crossover housing, but the oil passages were too large and created a weak point in the main webs and thus the 97 & 98 blocks are less desireable for tuning.

My advice, snag a good running 95 or 96 with about 100,000 on the clock. It's a place to start.

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

sounds good. i probably wouldnt be tuning it for a while other than maybe intake and exhaust. what sort of price should i be expecting for a well maintained suburban? KBB showed around $12k for a 96 with all the options and 100,000 miles, but then again, KBB is hardly ever accurate /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That quote, while a bit on the high side, isn't too far off.

The most important thing to consider when looking at a used diesel is this: how does it sound? Get in, turn the key, pay attention to the glow plugs (listen for the click), and see how well it starts and idles. A good running 6.5L should start within three seconds, and it should have a steady and even "clack."