Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 NV3500 Syncro Ring Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys,

Anyone here have any experience with regards to rebuilding, or just replacing the snycro rings on an NV3500, with the 3 peice syncro rings? My truck is making a strange rattling noise when you downshift to second, and the syncro spins up, and occasionally refuses to go into gear when shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher RPMs while getting onto the highway or something.

I have rebuilt SM465s before, but know nothing about NV3500s... Does it require the removal of the whole tranny like with an SM465?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

As far as i know the NV3500 is an integral bell tranny, and it splits along it's centerline rather than having a more tradional top or side cover. Beyond that...I dunno. All i've done is a NV4500.

Rene

3. Russell

Hmm, yeah, definitely be coming out to fix. Apparantly it was professionaly rebuilt shortly before I got it, so I'm gonna see if maybe there is still a warantee on it yet.

If not, will the transfercase from it fit behind an NV4500? I think it is an NP241, driver's drop, and is shifted by a rod through the floor.

How about driveshafts if I do the swap? I know where I can get an NV4500 I know was rebuilt very recently for 1000 obo...

4. tRustyK5

Did you also post this on bc4x4.com?

If so, i replied there. If not this is just a weird coincidence i guess. Yes the 241 will bolt right up to the NV4500. Both the NV3500 and the NV4500 are 32 spline outputs with the generic 6 hole round T-case adaptor (output housing).

$1000 is a great deal for an NV4500...especially cdn$$

Rene

5. Russell

Nope, never been to BC4x4.com, lol

Wanna give me the link to that topic, maybe there is useful info there :D

6. Russell

Wow, thats crazy!

Mine does have issues with not wanting to hold reverse as well, but my 5th works just fine :D

Would I be risking far more serious damage my tranny if I drove it with the toasted syncro ring until Christmas Break? Thats the first possible time I can forsee that I can take my DD off the road to work on it, unless something catastrohic happens to it... Right now I just avoid downshifting, and cringe whenever I shift into 2nd from 1st, lol

7. tRustyK5

Weird coincidence... :crazy:

I don't know if it'll really hurt much to keep driving it. I guess it depends on what's really going on and if any hard chunks are floating around in there I guess.

Rene