Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 s10 400sb chevy?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by monte0172, Jan 20, 2004.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here put a small block chevy into a 94 or later bodystyle s10? I thinking of doing it to my 96 but not sure of the hassels. It currently has a 4cyl 5 speed so i thought maybe putting a 4.3 manual tranny and a small block 400. Just a little more umph for the go cart. Thanks,

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a guy i used to work with said that one of his friends has a 400 in a 94 or 95 s10 that would pop wheelies /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

he must have redone the whole rear end setup then because they are notorius for traction problems. but it at least lets me know that its possible. Thanks,

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

a small block will bolt up to the 5 speed already.

5. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

It will bolt up to the 2.2 4cyl manual tranny that is currently in there now? Everything i have heard and from the looks of the bolt pattern its not happening. But it would be nice if it would. it would save me a whole lot of hassle thats for sure!!!

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

no the bell housing pattern is different and to find a bellhousing to match the transmission bolt patern is going to imposible, if you do the trans wont last because its not rated for that kinda torque.

7. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I was pretty sure thats the case thats why im looking for a 4.3 manual tranny. I know it will bolt up. And if all else fails i have a th400 sitting on the shelf waiting for something.

8. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of my Marines has a 94 I think and it has a 400sbc but he has a 350 trans I dont remember what all he has done as far as cutting etc.. But this thing is one bad a$$ mo fo its painted primer gray and sits a little low to the ground and I would'nt ever wanna pull up next to it in ANYTHING cept maybe that new dodge that just came out hehehehe!!!

9. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Thats cool!! Im planning on doing the same as far as lowering it. it helps with traction and at the same time im gonna do some much needed bodywork that ive been putting off for years. Also thinking of pulling the old NOS system off the shelf and putting it on there to see how far i can chunk the little bitty rearend of it. Send pics if you can I would like to see what im in for.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

BTW:
    Lowering it will help cornering but will hurt straight ahead traction.

11. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Depends on how much you lower it and how you set the rear springs up to handle the weight distrobution. The main idea for lowering it is to shift the weight from the front tires tward the middle of the truck giving the rearend a chance to squat when you take off. This usually helps by taking out leaves of changing over to a single racing spring setup. Ive been drag racing most of my life so when it comes to car dynamics and getting them to go fast and grip Im pretty knowledgeable. I wouldnt say im an expert because theres always something you can learn different that is a better way.