Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 Tahoe Courtesy Lights staying on after Smoke show with Wet Remote mirror

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by LandRaider, Mar 18, 2003.

1. LandRaider

LandRaider Registered Member

OK this is my first post here, and it looks like I have found the right place for my truck!!!

My problem is as follows.

Like a Bonehead I left my drivers window down all weekend, and the truck filled up with rain. I decided it was best to remove the front seat, and lift the carpet up to dry everythign out. about 2 Hrs after I took the seat out, I went back to the truck to Check on the drying status, and I smell electrical burn smell. I look down, and see smoke rising from my 4way remote window switch. I immedeatly started to take the door panel off, and get the switch unplugged. When I got to it, it was a goner, as well as the plug. I got a new switch from the Stealer today, and the harness/connector is on order, and will be here tommorow. I will solder, and heat shrink the plug on. SO my only problem at the moment, IS my courtesy lights will not turn off. Only way I could get them to go out is to pull the fuse. I did some Heavy searching of this forum before I even registered, and sent out an EMail to a member, BUT I never found anythign on this problem. One Similar post had a question about the location of the "Courtesy Lamp Control Module", and If I had one of those, then that would be the first thing I woudl suspect. I still don't have my power morror connector put on yet, but I am confident that nothing is shorting out there. Does the power to the courtesy lamp control module run through the mirror switch? Sheesh. Anyone with any experience on this??
    Thanks Curtis!!

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

The courtesy lights are powered off a switch in the door jamb. It sounds like the switch is stuck in the "open" position. I take it only the red/white lights on all doors are the lights that you refer to as the courtesy lights?

3. LandRaider

No all the lights. Dome, door, and floor lights are staying on.

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

5. LandRaider

96 Tahoe 2 door Z-71
    350 4l60e

I think I have this figured out. The ground to turn off the lights passes through the remote mirror switch. SO after 80 bucks of replacing wires, and switches, the remote mirrors, and courtesy lights are working.