Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 Tahoe dome light and cruise control issues.....

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Bondo, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I know there have been some posts about dome light issues lately, but it seems like they are all different situations. I just bought a 96 Tahoe LT and it's in great shape. The only things that don't work are the dome lights and the cruise control. The floor and door lights work fine, but the dome lights on the ceiling don't work at all. The map lights that are mounted on either side of the dome lights work fine as well. Any ideas? Is there some part that is common to fail in the dome light setup? Doesn't seem like it could be the pin switches since the floor and door lights work when you open the door and they won't come on if you push the override button? Seems like the override button works fine.

The cruise control just doesn't work at all. Where should I start with this? I know on my 90 K5, the wires in the turn signal lever were broken. Is that common with a 96 era Tahoe as well? Or is it most likely something else?

Thanks for your help.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Did ya Check the bulb's and if they have a seprate fuse? Just checkin b/c one of the techs i work with pretty much took a whole car apart over a dome light not working and all it needed was a new bulb!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif LMAO /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I checked the fuses and bulbs and all were ok. The book and fuse box cover only showed one fuse for all of the dome lights. Is that right?

4. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any ideas?? Help....

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Remove the cover from the upper dome light, check both sides of the bulb with a test light or voltmeter grounding the tester to the body. One side should show 12 volts all the time, if it doesn't it's a voltage problem find the problem with the orange wire. If you have voltage to the bulb, touch a jumper wire from the other side of the bulb to a ground, if it lights the bulb is good and the ground wire from the light is the problem, find the problem in the white wire.

6. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Ok. I have determined the problem to be the white wire since I have power to the dome light. If I ground the white terminal, the light works. So, would that be a loose or disconnected wire, or what? Still seems like it can't be the door pins since the under dash lights come on when I open the door, right? Thanks for all of your help!!

7. 95 Silverado

The white wire makes it's way down through the cab and ties in with the other light wires going to the door switches, the switches are working, so it's a problem with the wire between the light and the switch harness, start at the light and follow the white wire toward the switches, every so far, using a jumper, ground the white wire to the cab, the light should come on, if you get to a spot where the light doesn't come on, you passed the break in the wire.

8. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!!! I'll try it tomorrow.

Now, anybody know anything about cruise controls???
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Can you not make a new ground for it or will it stay on all the time from then on and if it did stay on you could just put in a toggle switch on the ground and flip it to ground the wire and light /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. but then youd have a custom light switch and it would prob be better just to trace the wire down and stay stock for as long as you can. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

10. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Yes, I think I could do that and I probably will, unless I can fix it the other way. I'd much rather have it stock though. The dome lights do come on when I ground them at the socket so I know they work. Any ideas on exactly where the wires run? Do they run down the windshield pillar or somewhere else? Also, where is the interior lamp control module located?

11. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Anyone else have any ideas, especially about the cruise control?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I too had some electrical gremlins a while back in my 97 tahoe .My problems were that the windsheild wiper switch would work only when I jiggled it so I pulled the steering wheel off and turned out that the connector inside the column was loose .I dont know if this is the same connection that controls cruise control but after I tightened it up it's been fine since .But every now and then when I put the truck in reverse the lights (dash-headlights) will flicker leaving me to believe that there is a short somewhere in the system .Maybe try to look at the entire fuse holder for looseness and chaffed wires .And look in the engine compartment to see if your cruise control vac is hooked up maybe the previous owner messed with it .Good luck dude and I hope you find that gremlin and snuff it out . /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifAlso check out www.alldata.com to see if there was a recall for that particular problem

13. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Thanks!! I'll check those out too....

14. 95 Silverado

there is no vacuum to the cruise control, it just has a black box on the firewall with a cable that goes to the throttle bracket, at least that's the way it is on my '95. There is a switch under the dash on the brake pedal, when the brake pedal is released it pushes on the switch, if it's out of adjustment it will not let the cruise control work.

15. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Is that a different switch than the brake light switch? That would make alot of sense. Even when I've had them not work in the past, they didn't completely not work, they just didn't work right. I'll check that out....

How do you adjust it??