Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 Tahoe fuel pump/sending unit help.....

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by MOABDADC22, Jul 15, 2003.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I replaced the fuel pump on my 4 door 96 Tahoe (Yes it makes about a $200.00 difference in parts cost 2 door Tahoe=$89.00 and 4 door=$280.00) about a year ago. Anyhow........ever since then, when I am under acceleration, the fuel gauge rises. When I come to a stop the gauge takes a few seconds to read normal.

Well the other day, I was driving and noticed the gauge is pegged all the way past full. No wires are bare or grounding out that I can see (Maybe the sending unit took a dump.)

Anyone else have a similar problem with their Tahoe?????????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Every Chevy I've ever driven has done the gauge goes up when taking off and gauge goes down when on the brakes... It's just the fuel sloshing in the tank. But as far as it being pegged, I would start by checking the wire for from the sender and see if it is reading correctly with a dmm. Check as far down the line away from the sender as possible, if it shows a bad signal. Then check the signal right at the sender and if it's still bad then you know it's the sender. If not then it's in the wiring somewhere.

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well the other day, I was driving and noticed the gauge is pegged all the way past full. No wires are bare or grounding out that I can see (Maybe the sending unit took a dump.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I had that problem when I siphoned a full tank of gas out of my 96 while I was doing the engine rebuild. I disconnected that battery for a bit and reconnected it. It the gauge returned to normal. Maybe it will do the same for you?