Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 Vortec Engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bunn60, Nov 2, 2002.

1. bunn60

bunn60 Newbie

I have been looking at replacing my worn out 350 for awhile. I have come upon a great deal for 96 Vortec 350 out of a rearended truck. It has about 20000 miles on it and is complete. I was wondering if it would be worth trying to keep the fuel injection or dump it - buy a new manifold and go carb. Any thoughts or experience? I apprecite it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I would try to go FI

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The vortec style fuel injection is crap. If you want to go with EFI try and but a throttle body unit in or tuned port injection off of a early 90's camaro or firebird. You will also need a different style intake to work with the vortec heads since the intake ports are a little different. Scoggin-Dickey has a good selection on the vortec style intake's you might need.

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

What? Vortec is great. Much better than TBI or TPI. Sure more electronics but you just can't beat SFI for all around fuel economy and power.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Not to flame or anything, but just walk into a GM shop and start talking to some of the heavy line techs that are good. They all hate it and say that TBI is the best EFI you can run. Trust me on this one, with SFI there is many more sensors and electronics and wiring to go bad. TBI has half the sensors SFI does, not to mention when you have to replace injectors or do something with one of the sensors you dont have to dig through miles of crap just to find what is wrong. Stick with carb or go TBI, its going to be wayyyy to much work to get the SFI to work right.

6. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I work at a parts store and asked one of the guys about this very thing. He works on cop cars and says that if i was to go FI to go with the throttle body. Sure it doesn't make as much HP off the block but its still easy and cheap to do. For the vortec your talking about AT LEAST $150 and 3.5 hours (if you know what your doing) to replace the wires and that much again to do the cap and rotor. Basically it comes down to do you want the name.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't know how you can go wrong if you can get the engine for a good price. The Vortec setup will probably beat any of your basic carbs setups, and the engine sounds like it is barely broken in.

8. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

No problem, speak your mind! I agree when it comes to replacing parts TBI definaly way easier, but when everything work SFI is great. Do you think Vortec SFI is problamitic and not a quality setup?

9. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

seems like it would be a b*tch to hook up all the wiring and such to support it, but I do know this... My 96 1500 extended cab has the factory 3.73 locking rear and my vortec 350 with 85000 miles will cook the tires and it moves like no pickup should. All I've done is a K&N FIPK and a flowmaster 50.