Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 Vortec Swap Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 20, 2002.

I may have the opportunity to buy a 1996 Vortec 350 from a friend who rolled his extended cab pickup. I'm interested in thoughts from anyone who has taken on the task of swapping one of these motors into an older vehicle, in my case a 1969 K20. So far I have been told the easiest route would be to scrap the fuel injection for a carb and new manifold and mid 70's HEI.

I've been told buying a new wiring harness would be pretty expensive. I've presently got a 307 and I want more torque. I've wanted a 383 for some time but this engine may be pretty inexpensive to acquire.

I'm okay mechanically with suspension stuff but not very knowledgeable when it comes to engines. I have an SM465 ready to swap in to replace my manual three speed and I would plan to use the SM465 with the new engine rather than going with the new engine's automatic.

Just interested in hearing thoughts and experiences as I consider this option.