Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

96 z71 (need replies)

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 55Willy, Jun 20, 2001.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

a friend of mine is wanting to put a little lift on to her truck, she doesn't want the full on $1200 4" kits. she is looking at a 3" kit for about $500. there are three different companies out there that have these( rancho, rough country and skyjacker) any one here running them, and what size tires you running, she wants 33's. she is gonna use the truck mainly to pull her sand rail and wants the truck to look good. any help will be appreciated

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Have her get all the instructions for each kit and read them fully before she buys. Those kits typically don't relocate the differential, so the angle of operation for the front axle CV joints is extreme. This leads to frequent failure of the CV boots.

I've also heard that some of those kits require you to run a certain offset of wheel in order to clear their Rube Goldberg "lift" parts. [​IMG] There's a reason they don't cost much... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Crank the torsion bars, 2" blocks in the back, and a 3" body lift. It will clear 35s as I remember correctly. If you're going to do a suspension lift, and actually buy one, just do 6". A 4" is a waste of money.

If you're going to buy a suspension lift that doesn't lower the front diff, I would suggest Rancho. That's what I've got with Rs 5000s all the way around and it was worth every penny. I've got the 4" straight axle kit on my '84 SWB K10 that I converted into a K20. :)

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

do you have any pix of it, what size tires you running?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend did that on a truck he used to own. He ran 33" all terrains because that's what he had before he did the cranking of the torsion bars and rear block. He could have easily cleared 35s.

My truck is an '84, straight axle, totally different that an IFS truck would be. I run 35x12.50R15 BFG Mud Terrains on mine right now. I plan on going a little taller probably 36s, and wider, 14.50. I might just stick with 35x14.50, or I might move up to 38s. Who knows.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles