Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'97 burb dash lights

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by heavy4x4, Oct 21, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

\'97 burb dash lights

Hey everybody, I drive a '90 sub, so you'll probably see me on the second generation boards. But, my dad's got a '97 chevy suburban. Got a question for you. Over by the radio where the station preset buttons are, the light that lights up the numbers 3 and 6 is out. It's not that it's a big deal, but how do you get at the bulb to replace it. Do I have to take the whole stinking dash apart, or do the buttons/some sort of cover pop off? Thanks for the help.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: \'97 burb dash lights

I haven't had one apart, but I'd bet that the light is internal to the radio. I would be very surprised if GM made any provision to easily change the lamps. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I have numbers 2 and 4 out. They went out last week. I'd like to know the answer to this question too before I pull the stereo out.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I looked in the factory service manual for a '94 Sub and it just shows that section of the radio as a module that can be swapped out. It doesn't make any mention of the lamps. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ah, yes. Another "thank-you GM engineers" topic.
    I'd rather not go prying apart the truck's dash, or popping buttons off that won't go back on. Anybody else out there know how to change them? Anybody?
    (I didn't look that hard, but I didn't even see any freaking screws holding the dash panel on.)

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I believe the whole dash panel comes off. If you pull it, it should loosen up. It should go from the drivers side to the other side of the radio and vent. I think underneath that are screws for the switches and radio.

7. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

My 1 and 4 are out. SOunds like a common problem.
    Andy

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well then, I think we need a definite answer. So...who's done it?

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have to replace the whole radio head. Cassete versions are cheap, but cd's are way pricey. To get it out you pull the outer bezel that goes around the whole dirvers side half of the dash off then the radio will have a tab on each side you push down and it slides out. You can try and take the head apart and replace the bulbs but I bet that they are soldered right to the main faceplate board... Worth a shot though I guess...