Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 C-1500 with 4L60E, no reverse or overdrive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 10, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

we got in a 97 c-1500 ext cab 2wd with 5.7L and auto overdrive, reverse and overdrive are out, it will drive, it started this about a week ago, fluid is great shape bright red no bad smell or anything

its got 141k on it babied since it was new he wont evne smoke in the truck, nothing not a scratch on it anywhere, nothing

yards and trans guys say no known issues with these trannies, so no reason for it to be out

what do you think to check first before yanking tranny ?

thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok looked closely and its 2 quarts low, cold, added those and it still has no reverse,

noticed that it has a whirring noise in park and reverse and neutral only, not much- if any- louder than the idle speed exhaust sound(nice good cat backs)

put it in drive and the noise goes away, its like something is spinning in trans but catches in forward gear and quits spinning

any ideas ?

who to ask ?

thanks

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i can't think of any reason for those to be not working, probably time for a rebuild.

are there any codes? you'll probably have to go to auto zone to pull the codes. if there are any codes for the tranny i could look them up and see what i can find.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tranny info

sounds like the low/reverse clutch pac. or possible pump, the pumps wave a powder metel vane setup that crackes and brakes. and for the tranny shops saying no known problems , thay are full of s#%t and were blowing smoke up your u know what . the 4l60-e is just a updated version of the 700r4 and its all comp controled shifts , thats all. and with 140k on it just reman it and get it over and done with. if you want the easy and decent price way out . then go to the local parts store and geet a reman and it comes with a converter and a can of cooler line flush to get the crap out of the lines . try this and good luck.:laugh:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no idea on codes and all that and cant be driving it with the troubles its got, the trans shop says its converter or pump most likely, we are pulling out the trans in the AM, then i got to cut the 3.42 rear axle and remove rear hatch and front seats all from an 87 camaro after i drive it to here, and find a driver side door for the 82 k10 project in a local towing yard for my stepdad, and take the 97 trans to springfield to trans shop since none are local

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

we dont have a store here that carries trannies, lol,.
    everything is in springfield and bloomington

thanks

7. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply. No reverse, 4th, and I bet it takes longer than usual to shift ou of first. You have a broken reverse sun shell. Very common problem in these trannies. The long time to shift out of first is because 2nd is gone too. You are shifting right from 1st to 3rd. The good news is a new shell is only about $65-$75. The bad news is that the tranny has to come out and be torn down to change it. With those miles it would be moronic to not do an overhaul or at least reclutch it at the same time.