Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 GM deisel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigtruck87, May 1, 2003.

1. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

I have....well my uncle has a 1997 surban with a 6.5 turbo deisel. well he will be driving and the truck will just die. sometimes it will restart and sometimes it wont. has a new filter and a new helper pump (the one on the rail.) still has the same problem. just wondering if there are any common problems for this concern with this motor??????

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I have zero experience with the later style (electronic) 6.5s. But I've heard the fuel pump is controlled by a fuel pressure switch w/no relay. The contacts in the switch suffer from too much amperage.

Other than that it sounds like a PMD problem. They suffer from heat soak. Look for an aftermarket kit to remote mount it, although it still may have to replaced.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The dealer should replace the injection pump under warranty. That is a classic symptom of bad electronic injection pump. (could be the electronics (as Dan said) on the pump but they just replace the whole pump AFAIK)