Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 Pontiac sunfire ECM problems? URGENT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Dec 5, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I need urgent help. My wifes Sunfire supposedly ran out of gas last night. I showed up with a few gallons but it wouldn't start. I figured she probley tried to start it a few times and killed the battery. I tried to jumper it, but it wouldn't budge. Next, I jumpered the solenoids on the starter. It would turn over but wouldn't take off. Thats when We noticed a "security" light flashing. So I had my buddy turn the ignition while I jumped the solenoid and it took right off. After I got the car home and shut it off it wouldn't start again with the key.
    Do I need to reset something in the ECM for the security? Any other ideas? This is my wifes ride to work. Thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If a dealer won't tell you, you could try over on Thirdgen. There is a security system built into some ECMs but not out truck ones. Do a search over there, I'm sure there'll be something about it as their cars have that system.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you have one of those keys with the little black plastic and metal chip in it. Try cleaning the key and the ignition lock with an electrical cleaner. I used to have the same problem with those type of keys. Women throw them in their purse and they get some woman goo on them. Then the key goes into the ignition and goops up the contacts for the chip. If the ECM does not see the proper resistance and it sets of the immobilizer/security light.

Just clean the key real good then spray electrical cleaner on the key and stick it in and out of the ign a number of times. Then try starting the car.

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Update!

Ok, I am pretty sure the car thinks it is stolen.:doah: After talking with a dealer (good thing my dad is a salesman), they tell me to turn the ignition on for 10 minuits, then turn off, then on for 10 min. I am supposed to do this 3 consecutive times. The only problem is that the security light is supposed to flash. This confirms that the security is supposed to be in "teach" mode. I cannot get the security light to flash. I have tried disconnecting the battery for several hours. I may have to take it in after all:mad:.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

The procedure he gave you only works on 99 up Grand Ams. And you only have to leave the key on for 10 minutes. After the security light stops flashing, you usually can start it.

The security system consists of three things. The ignition lock cylinder, the Instrument cluster and the PCM. The lock cylinder tells the Instrument cluster that everything is ok, then the cluster tells the PCM that it's cool to start fueling the engine.

Usually the problem is in the lock cylinder, but PCM or instrument cluster problems are not unheard of. A service manual and a scan tool would do wonders to fix this problem. IMO it will be hard to diagnose in the driveway. May be time to tow it to the dealer.

They also had problems with fuel pumps and sending units, so don't take for granted that there is fuel in the tank, on any sunfire or 99 up grand ams.