Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'97 S-10 with 4.3 help

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by K5Kell, Mar 1, 2006.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Buddys truck that recently seemed like the cat is getting plugged. It has trouble going over 25-30 mph and recently has died a few times at stops after running for awhile. Dont want to pull the cat before I'm positive that its not an O2 sensor or manifold temp. sensor. Is there any way to check the codes that it is throwing on these newer years? I know how to do it on my '87 K5 but I'm sure its different. Any info/advice would be appreciated.
    -Kell-

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

some of the auto part stores will check the codes for free, just don't always listen to them about the resluts get the code numbers and look it up your self becasue if they see a sensor throwing a code they will say repalce the sensor when i migth not be the sensors falt. If you want a quick way to check for the clogged cat pull the o2 sensor and see if it makes any difference if it does i would say it is the cat that is clogged causing to much back pressure

3. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

There are 3 O2 sensors on it 2 in front of the cat and 1 behind it, which one/ones should I pull? How would it run differently? Are the GM codes the same ones I would use on my K5 or did they change for newer rigs?

Sorry for so many questions but I appreciate the help.
    -Kell-

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the codes did change. pull the ones in front of the cat, it will run rich but should be able to get above 30 if the clogged cat is the problem. Taking the sensors out will open up the back pressure. You can alos get a gague that screws into that hole to tell you how much back pressure you have

5. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I'll give that a try, thanks.
    -Kell-

6. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

that sure does sound like a restriced exhaust to me

what does the exhaust feel like coming ouf of the tail ?

when its cold ?

when its hot ?

have sene this happen quite a few times, on early 90s stuff mainly

but later 90s stuff is getting that old now

so..

wouldnt be surprised at all

good luck