Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 S10 Blazer 4x4- Oil leaking from axle tube. Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jul 18, 2004.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Is anyone familiar with the rear axle from one of these blazers? It's leaking from the rear driver's side. If the seal needs replaced, what does that consist of? I'm not sure what is in there, whether if it's FF or SF, if it has C-clips or what.

Can anyone tell me what it takes to replace this seal? It does have 10 bolts, but being this new, I don't know if that means it's a "10-bolt"

It's also a 5-lug, seems to have four bolts in the axle flange, possibly holding it in?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not sure how to replace it, but there is a seal in there somewhere. Prolly have to tear the outers all apart to do it. I think it's a 7.5" 10 bolt semi-floating axle /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

IIRC its a 7.625" 10 bolt, which is almost identical to the 7.5" 10 bolt. to remove the axle, pull the cover, center pin, then push the axle in and remove the c-clip. once the c-clip is out, remove the axle shaft, pull your seal, then put the new one in. install is reverse of removal.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So basically, it's pretty much like any other normal semi floater? Oh yeah, I think it's a limited slip, does that change anything? I've never been into one of those before.
    Would it take just a standard gear oil, or is there something else for limited slip?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Is there any special tool for the seals? Anyone?

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There is a puller, and a deal to put it in, but you don't need them to do the job.