Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 Silverado with no brake lights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud hungry, Feb 22, 2008.

1. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

I have had this problem before and I replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal and I have checked all the fuses. No I am really confused. Blinkers and hazard, and running lights all work but not the brake lights. Any suggestions

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no brake lights as in just box brake lights? or no 3rd also.

i bet you got 3rd brake on top of cab. if so its the multifunction switch in the colum.

the brake switch is 2 sided. 1 side goes threw turn/wipers/highbeam switch. and thay go threw them.

you will need a e3-e4 cant recall 100% torqs socket to get 2 of the screws out. its a tinny tourqs socket. easy swap out tho.

3. mud hungry

Yes it has a 3rd light and that isn't working either. I replaced the brake pressure switch that also controls the neutral safety/park switch. If that isn't what you were thinking where would I find the one that you are talking about?

4. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

chassis control module?

Did they use em on 97's. If so, dealer or qualified garage as they must be programed when installed.

5. mud hungry

I have no idea what or where that would be.

6. mud hungry

any one?:o

7. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, first I would start at the fuseblock(driver side dash) and make sure the stop/haz. fuse is good. From there go to the brake switch at the pedal and make sure the orange wire has 12v all the time. Press the pedal down(may need the engine running) and make sure the white wire shows 12v going out from the brake switch, this is the input that goes to the multifunction switch in the column. Check the white wire at the main column connector(base of steering column, should be one of the outer rows of wires) and make sure you still have your output from brake switch. If that's good check to see if there is an output through the multifunction switch(turn/haz/wiper/cruise) by checking your dark green and yellow wires at that same main connector on the column. More than likely you will have found your problem by now but if not report back. You could also try wiggling the hazard knob while pressing the brake pedal and see if that triggers them, had a lot of problems with the contacts burning up in the multifunction switches.

stoplamp.jpg

8. mud hungry

Now that is helpful. Thank you very much

9. 90'K5

90'K5 1/2 ton status

I believe there is also a relay under the hood that controls the brake lights..