Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 yukon rear suspension issues...

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by thezentree, Sep 26, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

the rear suspension in my truck is doin some strange things...

as the suspension loads and unloads, it honks and jerks. like at a stoplight when i brake, and the front dips, as the rear end settles after the truck has stopped, it honks, and it feels like the rear suspension is jerking. when i accelerate off the line (even at a "normal driver's" pace), the rear suspension honks and shudders again.

i've posted this question before over at offroad.com, but i really didnt get an answer that solved it. its not the u-joints, or screwy backlash (as several local shops have suggested), and from the way the truck behaves, i can tell its definately in the rear suspension, which is stock, by the way. anyone ever had this problem before? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

honking and jerking, huh? what kind of shape are the bushings in? if they get in a bind and then unload its possible they could cause what you are experiencing..broken center pins possible letting the springs shift?? just a couple thoughts.. broken spring hanger or shock mount?

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Its the slip yoke...

4. Confedneck

well dangit i knew i forgot something...thats probably what it is,, take the driveshaft out, put some atf on the splines and it will go away...we had that problem with a batch of f150s last year...

5. thezentree

i dont think it's the slip yoke, cause its coming from the back of the truck, but i will try the ATF thing just for the hell of it. as for the other stuff, the spring hangers, shackles and shock mounts are all good. the bushings might need replacing, and center pins sound like they may be the cuplrit, cause it acts like someting is shifting.

6. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

don't rule out the slip yoke. my wifes 99 is developing the same problem. its actually a "known issue" with this chassis. we test drove a 98 that we fell in love with and that was the only issue with it. ran it past a friend at teh dealership and he verified the problem. same description of noises and everything. come to a stop and the suspension stays bound until you let off the brakes and then the rear end seems to unload. we got the 99 to avoid that problem and now it looks like we will have it anyway. i think i worsened it by adding air bags back there for towing.

7. thezentree

yea, i get my truck back from the dealer today (fawkin emissions...) and i plan on droppin the driveshaft when i get home /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Confedneck

if atf doesnt solve it..get some blue teflon grease and use that..solves about 95% of our problems with sticking yokes at work, the other 5% get shafts and go..

9. thezentree

or maybe not....
    fawkin shiet aint fixed yet. friggin emissions regulations, theyre leavin me walkin! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont think it's the slip yoke, cause its coming from the back of the truck, but i will try the ATF thing just for the hell of it. as for the other stuff, the spring hangers, shackles and shock mounts are all good. the bushings might need replacing, and center pins sound like they may be the cuplrit, cause it acts like someting is shifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this quick fix and it worked.