Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

97 Z71 4WD problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deegainey, Dec 15, 2004.

1. deegainey

deegainey Newbie

Hey Guys,

MY Z isn't behaving well lately. Its a 5.7L with the 243 venture transfer case (Electronic shift no auto trac). The transfer case stopped shifting last week. Going from 2wd to 4wd hi on the fly the light would flash a couple times and it would make a quiet clunk but just go back to 2wd. Same kinda thing trying to shift to 4wd Low in neutral.

So, I took it into the shop, and they diagnosed it as a motor/encoder. Now, $500 later, it won;t shift on the fly, and it shifts into 4WD low while in neutral when the 4WD high button is pressed. Also it won;t shift into 4WD from 4WD low, it just goes directly back to 2wd. (I was under the impression that the electronic transfer cases only went from 2wd to 4wd high then to 4wd low and back to 2wd via 4wd high.)

I've read alot of knowledgeable advice on here. I hope someone can help me out..... it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    G-MAN
    97 Z71
    67 Camaro ragtop