Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98 7.4L Hard starting

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sandy78, Mar 4, 2003.

1. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

I just bought this rig. 46000 on it. Has a "warm" start problem. Cranks but won't fire. If you crank it a small amount, then try again it always starts fine (but rich). I already resealed the plenum and retorqued the intake manifold. When I had the top off, I checked injectors, but they didn't appear to be leaking. It doesn't light up the check engine light. Hot start is fine. Cold start exhibits less of the warm start symptom (usually no trouble). I have not taken it to a dealer yet. Any ideas on obvious stuff I can check at home? Thanks!

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know if this will help any. Buddy of mine works at a garage. Said alot of the GM's, after sitting for a bit, will loose the fuel pressure in the lines, and possibly injectors. Next time you go to start it when warm, turn the key to the on position, not all the way to start, just on, and wait a couple seconds, see if that does anything. My old truck did the same. It would crank over a few times, then start, let it sit few seconds and would start right up.

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know if this will help any. Buddy of mine works at a garage. Said alot of the GM's, after sitting for a bit, will loose the fuel pressure in the lines, and possibly injectors. Next time you go to start it when warm, turn the key to the on position, not all the way to start, just on, and wait a couple seconds, see if that does anything. My old truck did the same. It would crank over a few times, then start, let it sit few seconds and would start right up.

[/ QUOTE ] Yup!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Update: Changed the fuel pressure regulator and the problem went away! It was a fuel pressure leakdown, just through the regulator diaphram and into the intake manifold. Thanks for the suggestions.