Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98 and below reliability ?'s

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by altaboy8, Jul 8, 2002.

1. altaboy8

altaboy8 Registered Member

98 and below reliability ?\'s

i am a tacoma owner currently. i own an 01 tacoma 4x4 trd. it wasnt what i expected though. it will go where i want when i want but it had developed some ticky tack "non toyota" problems which have turned me off from the truck. so since this truck can pull around 19500 used id be looking at a 98 or 99 square body style 2wd lifted silverado ext. cab. how reliable honestly are the 5.7's im not going to be putting any money into gm's pocket by buying this truck because i will not buy from a dealer. so i would appreciate an honest and non biased opinion. thank you.

2. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 98 and below reliability ?\'s

The 350's as reliable of an engine as you will find in my opinion.

3. altaboy8

yeah my frieds uncle is a chev. mech he said if ur gonna go chevy get the 350 its our bread and butter. he said i should pull around 150k on the odo which is what i expect with my taco. does that sound about right?

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I have had several GM's in my life. In my opinion.........the 350 is a great engine. Definately get a Vortec engine. Very reliable. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. altaboy8

would a 99 silverado 5.7 be a vortec? isnt vortec a counter balance to make the engine idle and run smoother? thanks.

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

The '99s did not come with 5.7s They came with 4.3L V6 or 4.8L, 5.3L, or 6.0L V8s. The thing that makes those engines "vortec" engines is the heads and Air induction system. The bottom end is basically the same as other/older GM small blocks. Prior to 99 they had the 5.7 vortecs, but in 99 is when the newer vortec family was put out.

Here is a link to better explain what improvements you have with a vortec engine.
    Vortec Engine Info

Hope This Helps ....... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. altaboy8

this is either a late model 98 they labeled a 99 or its a very early 99 labeled a 99 it is the square model though. thanks.

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Either way, you would have yourself a vortec /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. altaboy8

lol so im a winner no matter what. im actually really familiar with ls1 camaros is the 5.7 in his 98 or 99 lol an ls1? i just got the trd taco cause i read dollar for dollar it is the best 4x4 out there. it might be but its not what i expected.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

In 99 you could still buy an older body style along side the newer Silverados. Actually there are a number of diffrences on the newer engins(4.8, 5.3, 6.0) as compared to the older ones. Deeper skirts, 6 bolt mains and numerus other things nothing is interchangeble.

11. tjayandlisa

tjayandlisa Registered Member

the biggest advantage to a vortec motor is the roller cam...more longevity...less friction...