Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98 chevy installing new spider gears need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, Apr 27, 2005.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

My buddie broke a couple teeth off one of the spider gears in the rear of his 98 chev 1/2 ton. The thing that bugs me is it has a posi in it. I've never taken one apart yet so I don't know what to expect.
    Does anyone have any pointers.

Thanx
    Dan

2. highrider_44s

come on guys i'm lost :crazy: :mad1: :confused:
    does anyone know what kind of posi comes in a z71.
    I don't think they still use the gov lock in a 98?
    when we took the cover off it looked different. :dunno:
    :what: :doah: :what:

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

z71 comes with a gov loc. yes they are still building them.
    never taked one apart so im no help.

4. highrider_44s

still a gov lock ah i thiught they would have got something different by now

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Take it out and put in an EATON POSI! DOnt wast time with the gov loc.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They are alot better than they were , I still wouldn't trust it . Check out the great big hole in the case , I prefer the smaller hole in an older open axle and a lockright in 1/2 tons .

All the current diffs made by AAM http://www.aam.com/technology/tech_prod_dl_diff.html
    [​IMG]

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So whats the deal with AAM? I did a little bit of looking on their site, and they don't tell much. That diff you linked looks like a clone of the Eaton gov-lock. One further down looks like the Zexel Torsen.(SP?)

8. dyeager535

Forgot I was going to suggest something here.

Of course have both wheels off the ground. With the cover off, rotate the carrier around until you DON'T see all the junk in the pictures posted in this thread. You'll see the pinion shaft, maybe the ends of the axles, and the pinion gears.

Remove the pinion shaft lock bolt, which goes in from the passenger side of the carrier, parallel with the axleshaft. Goes right through the pinion shaft and carrier. On my 14SF socket needed was a 10MM, on the 10 bolt's I *think* early on were 5/16"...if GM was smart they went bigger on the 10 bolts later too. Anyways, remove the lock bolt, and hope it doesn't break. If it does, replace the axle. :)

Now if you DON'T pull the pinion shaft all the way out, but out of ONE pinion gear (thats their real name) and hold one wheel while rotating the other, I believe it will spin the pinion gear out into the open part of the carrier. I don't like pulling the pinion shaft completely unless you have to, as you start dealing with other issues.

While in there I would give the fine toothed gov-lock mechanism a THOROUGH going over...rotate the carrier watching all the gears, making sure teeth aren't broken. It takes the smallest piece getting into them to break.

You'll probably want to replace the pinion gear thrust washers at the same time.

9. highrider_44s

If it was my truck i"d probably put something better in but it's my buddies truck. Thanks for the tips i'm preaty sure i know what your talking about.
    pinion gears? so thats what there called. :D
    one other thing does anyone know how to check the clearences in there.
    I think you have to set the clearence between the cluches or something :dunno:
    Oh if i do take that pinon shaft all the way out how many peices are going to fall out. :crazy:

10. dyeager535

You can't take the gov-lock stuff apart (clutches, side gears, etc) from what I could tell without some pretty special tools. So clearance isn't going to be something you can adjust.

If you pull the pinion shaft out, you MIGHT lose the pinion gears, their thrust washers, the "block" that is in there for the gov-lock, and maybe the c-clips if the axles get pushed in. Nothing you can't put back in, just easier if parts don't start raining on you. :)

Reason I say don't pull it all the way out is that if you rotate one pinion gear one way (towards you and out) the other one goes the opposite direction. Probably not a big deal, but just something else to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

time for real posi or a 14 FF

lol

these damn later 10 bolts are just total crap, they constantly blow up

i will never own an 88-up(especially 1500 series) unless i was to carb it and put FF under it

junk trucks

hell the auto trans in them only last 130k with normal driving, per trans shop techs info, we jut got done yanking trans out of a 97 with 137k on it and dead tranny i took it to springfield to shop for 1200 dollar rebuild, whichw as lowest bid i could find on it for the owner of the truck, and theres another truck jut liek it over across town at a shop i know the owner of, same problme, dead auto trans, and its liek a 99 or 2000 ?

they make crap anymore, trannies, axles, all of it, total scrap, although of all the 700r4's the 87-92 or so years are the best, but thats about it as far as later units go,, rest is junk,

good luck

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt call 88 and up trucks junk, you've got the wrong idea. If you dont drive like a maniac the rear ends last just fine... If you take care of the tranny it wont let you down. Its all about how to take care of the vehicle, you cant just assume the vehicles are junk because you've seen a few with problems. :confused: :confused:

Why in the world would you carb one of these trucks? That is one of the most retarded things Ive every heard. Since when has the TBI or Vortec been a major problem on these vehicles? Thats right it ISNT.

EVERY vehicle has its own set of known problems and while these trucks may have intake gasket and fuel pump problems it doesnt make them junk... :confused:

FAR FROM JUNK FAR FAR FAR

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  13. highrider_44s

ah crap i got a 98 1500 i hope the tranny don't go in mine.
    I thought i herd that it was the 96 97 that had that problem.
    Ah well mines already got 170k on it lots of highway though.

As for my buddies i think its eather a 97 or maby a 98 but it doesn't have the 3rd door :dunno:
    but he broke the pinion gear nothing else broke i think he was doing a brake stand and one tire was on pavment and the other on loose gravel but still i've never seen the pinion gear break.

14. pauly383

I think the AAM stuff is better , by I don't trust it .

Apparently , with AAM making stuff themselves , GM can just buy axles ready to go now .

I don't know the cut off date though , when Gov-Locs stopped .

Bear in mind , with AAM supplying other as well as GM , that many of those diffs may be in different things now , like Dodge trucks too .

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HAHA, JUNK!?!?! HAHA, thats why theres so many of them out on the roads right? My grandfathers 88 with a little over 100K is just fine. My buddy has a 98 with 150k+ and hasnt had ONE single problem with it. THe 10 bolt had about 130K miles on it with 33" then 35" tires, did burnouts and everyhting, when we took it out for the SAS we pulled the cover and there wasnt a piece of metal in there. He hasnt had a problem with the thanny or anything, its in perfect sondition.

Its when people abuse them, they work fine for what their designed for, stock tires.

16. pauly383

I killed mine when the truck was stock on the set of 31's I got after my set of 32's .

I agree that for the most part they would be fine . In our group however , we are more likely to break them :D

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

You said a point I forgot to mention, if they were junk all the soccer mommies would be trading in their older burbs and Tahoes for new ones...I still see a TON of the old style running around. FAR from junk.... :surepal: :surepal: :surepal: :surepal: :surepal: :surepal:

18. highrider_44s

if it makes any difference it looks like his truck was abused a bit before he bought it. the shocks were all shot and things looked a little hacked. so it's not to surprising something let go.
    But it wasen't the actual gov lock parts that broke it was a spider gear.This is something that has been used in every rear wheel drive out there for years. Also the dealer had to put some money into the rear end before he bought it so maby they screwed something up when they were in there.
    Whatever the case may be he only has enough to fix it (the dealer is going the pay for half) so were going to throw a few spiders in ther and clean it up a bit and slap it back together. and if it lets go again hope fully he has more money to upgrade. :D