Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98 crew cab on a 87 crew frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Sep 23, 2005.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Can I or has anyone ever done it? I have an 87 4x4 crew cab and frame that I was going to build as my next off roader but the cab is rusted out. Enter the 98 2wd cab and frame I have just found. The 98 has no rust. So will it fit? I plan on running a 2" body lift and 52" spings with fender triming to clear 44"s.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sure it will! Just so long as You have a welder, cutting torch, grinder and lots of time.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the newer bodys whent about 10 inchs wider in the mount positions. and most states go by the body for reg and plates and inspection.

4. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Sounds really cool ! But why use a full C-channel frame ? How about making your own ? Or the one from the '98 ?

5. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I have the tools, the time is another deal. I want to keep it street legal here in Utah and I am not sure what they would say to a hand made frame, but it will have a full cage even under the hood and the small flat bed. the cage should stiffen up the frame (stop twist) as thats why my K5 body and frame no longer want to stay in one pice.

6. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

I thought they generally was open, tidy, rational and realistic in USA when it comes down to modifying vehicles ? In Norway you can risk getting your plates taken, a big ticket and major law-trouble if you have a inch higher suspension or more than 5% bigger wheels than stock.. :eek1: :surepal: