Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98 p/u with a 305 A/C went out

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 84CUCV, Jun 15, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Taking a look at i saw that i it leaked the some kind of fliud out. This is my DD so am i going to kill the pump driving it? Also, do i need a new one? What kind of tests should i do? thanks for the help mike

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

no idea, but they put a 305 in a 98?
    Are you sure its not a 350?

3. 84CUCV

I am sure. 5.0 mike

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

did it come like that from teh factory?

I didn't know they put one of those in for the 98 year...guess you learn somethign new everyday.

All the AC stuff should be the same as teh 350 though

5. 84CUCV

Yea, its the way i got it new. Only 52k on it also. So i am not sure why the a/c went out. mike

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont know the EXACT way to find a leak, im sure theres special tools. Wherever it leaked out, it will be very thin oil. Clean the refridgerant from everywhere, and fill it up, looking for the leak. I think you could die the refridgerant to find it easier. Just remember that it is harmful to the atmosphere and it is supposed to be recovered, not just purged into the air.

7. 84CUCV

I will give it a try. mike

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I assume you mean the fluid leaked out of the compressor? To properly diagnose the system, it needs to be evacuated with an A/C machine, then filled with refrigerant and have dye injected into the system. Then the A/C system should be run, and using a UV light, watchfor a leak. The dye will glow as it leaks from it's leaking part. Sometimes the leak is large enough the UV light isn't needed. This type of work is best left to a shop with the proper equipment to recover the refrigerant. Most places run specials for $40-$70 for this type of work. If they diagnose it and want too much to repair, just have them recover any refrigerant, repair the system yourself, and then go back to them to have a vacuum pulled on the system to make sure any contaminants get removed, and then have them charge up the system and then enjoy your cool cab. It sounds like a lot, but it's pretty routine for any shop.