Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98 Tahoe help needed asap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justinf, Jun 24, 2006.

1. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I am trying to replace the water pump on my 98 Tahoe. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the fan off? I tried increasing the tension on the belt to hold it, but it still slips (for those that don't know, 96 and later fans thread directly onto the water pump shaft, the four bolts through the pulley no longer hold the fan on.:rolleyes: )

When I did the water pump in my pickup, I think we just used the friction of the belt to hold it.

Also, how do I reset the radio since I disconnected the battery?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Use a piece of flat stock bolted to one of the 4 10mm bolts on the pully to hold the pump still while you unscrew the large clutch nut. Remember that is it reverse threaded.

If your passlock is active you cal call chevy to get it reset, or look on Google for directions. I know I have seen them on there in the past.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yes, first off, the threads are reversed, for starters, in the event you didn't know. Take a brass drift, or something like it and smack it in the direction it needs to go. Don't be afraid to give it a good whack.. being timid will get you nowhere. You will not get it off by holding the fan blades and trying to turn the nut.

You should have put a code in at one time, if your the original owner. You will need to input that code using the directions in the owners manual. If you don't have the code, then I hope you know the orig owner, otherwise you'll probably need to ask the dealship about it. I think they can bypass it for a fee. I use the same code for everything, so that I don't have to worry about forgetting it.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Google finds: These might help

The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

Procedure:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”

09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)

10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction in your Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Dude, that's an awsome find :bow:

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Supposedly does not work on 2003 and newer though. Need the TEC2 for those.

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I got the fan off that evening finally. Used a large pair of channellocks to grab two of the 4 10mm bolts, then a large adjustable wrench to loosen the fan. Side note, my fan is standard thread, not reverse thread. My 98 pickup is the same way.

The info on the radio is great, thanks,:bow: :bow:

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Wierd. I was under the impression that all the serp setups were reverse rotation/counter threaded fan clutches.

9. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I believe the water pump in a serp setup runs the reverse of the waterpump in a v belt setup, but the fan is standard thread.

10. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Nope, I thought so too, it screwed with me for a while..