Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!983 K-5 Blazer Front Seats

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Huey, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Huey

Huey Registered Member

Any suggestions for /forums/images/icons/confused.gif after market seats for an 1983 K-5 Blazer? How should I handle the "flip up" feature of the passenger side seat? I am looking for seats which accomodate full size people. A reclining feature would be nice.
    Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, I'd first do a search on here, because I think a few people have asked about this, and also figure out what you want/need the seats for.

More comfort, just need seats, or need better support wheeling? Personally, I haven't heard or seen many complaints about the strength of the seat mounts themselves, (just the seats) so I'd just use stock mounts, and adapt different seats to them.

I doubt the market is large enough that a company actually makes a bolt in replacement seat setup that will work with the tilt passenger seat.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I put some seats from a '91 blazer in my '74. I retained the stock brackets. I used a 17"x17" 16 ga. steel plate and spot welded my stock brackets to the bottom of it. Then I drilled the 4 new bolts holes for the new seats. It took me all of about an hour to do everything including repainting the brackets. They look great and they look factory as well. They sit about 2" higher than stock, but I like that. I get more visibility. Also, they are the newer high back seats that recline and flip forward. I have less than $100 into them and the feel great! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I can send you some pics if you're interested.

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I thinking about looking for some Astro Van seats with arm rests. Someone from this site said they would bolt right on! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

5. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

I'd be interested in some pics. Does the passenger seat flip up or fold down?

6. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I got '84 z28 seats to sit on the blazers seat mounts, with a little creative drilling and bolting... they look like they belong in there.

Matt

7. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Beard makes seat mounts to fit there sits for seconds gens up to 86 with the flip up model, check then out at www.redart.com

8. ryand7

ryand7 Registered Member

I just put some seats in my 89K5. They are gray leather out of a 94 Suburban. Drivers side is power. Took about an hour had to drill two new holes in the suburban seat brackets and they bolted right in. Ran a hot wire to the wiring and it feels like I am in a caddy. Major improvement to the look and comfort of any K5.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

93ish Mitsubishi Mini Van middle row seats. Double arm rests, spin and recline. I can load a big Contico box through the passengerside. The seat tracks are 3ft long and have to be cut down. Getting into the back seat is a breeze now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It flips up on the stock brackets for the rear entry, but the seat back also flips forward or reclines if you want it to.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Grim reaper has a very good idea, but I would use the captain chairs from my custom chevy Van /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Plenty of those in wreking yards if you want to do the same.
    IceMan

12. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

weel i personally have new seats in my blazer.
    i have seats from a 2000 silverado. with a center console that flips up into a middle seat. when i removed the pass. seat with the brackets, the flip up feature came out too. when i put these in, the seats ran on tracks, the bolts on the front of the bolts were an EXACT match, then in the rear it was 6 inches off. so i took a metal plate, bolted the plate down, then bolted the seats to the plate, the plat is like 1/4 in steel and when i put the seats in it i raised them .5inches. and to get into the rear, the seat slides fwd, and folds up.
    i have pics at my webshots page:
    The pics are here @ my webshots page

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've got some gray cloth seats out of a '99 Tahoe. The passenger side slidees forward, and the drivers side is power
    Do a search, this has been covered a bunch of times

14. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I have some 2000 Astro van seats that I got for free out of a roll over from the J/Y. I saw them and wanted them and they told me if they cut the roof of then they would burn the seats. I told them I could get them out and told me if you can then they are free. I layed in the seats up side down and pushed on the roof with my legs. After a few the roof was all up and there was room to work. Hay, free is free....right!

I tired to fit them in and it look like I need to make brackets for them. Here are a few pics of them
    Seats

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That is why I made a plate for my stock brackets and spot welded them to it. From the pics, it lookes like you can unbolt the stock Astro bracket from the seats, then all you have to do is drill 4 holes through the plate and bolt them onto you stock K5 brackets. You won't lose andy form, or function /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I was going to do that but the seat brackets are also the seat sliders so, I have to think of something else.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ahh, I get it, you want to keep the sliders on the passenger side?? My drivers side still has the factory sliders. My passenger is a fixed position that flips forward for access to the back seat. That is why the new plate on the original sliders worked for me.