Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

98ish tow hooks on 87 k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 13, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just got some tow hooks that looks to of come off a late 90's suburban/tahoe. It has 2holes to bolt into the frame. I was just checking where they would mount on my 87 K5, and it seems like they are just a TINY bit to long to mount on the lower part of the frame because of the front leaf spring mount. Is there anyway to mount them to the top part of the frame if i cut through the bumper and drill 1hole in my frame or is this a stupid idea. Any thoughts?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tow hooks are scary. Avoid using them.

3. stockk5

whats scary about them? what would u recommend to do in order to hook up d-rings on the front w/ a stock bumper?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

good hooks

those factory tow hooks are vary stong for the limited use of them as ocasunal backup use. had a friend bend 1 and it didnt break. but he was stuck in the mud with 36" tsls and used 6 straps and bumper to bumper tugs. you can buy them new at the dealer for a 20.00 doller bill hope you didnt pay more than that.:cool1:

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Not as scary as no tow hooks :grin: And if they are the 90's tow hooks, they are the bigger beefier ones, should be good for the average joe IMO.

6. stockk5

ya the tow hooks i got are the exact same ones that my mom's 98 suburban has on the front end, there like 1" thick all around

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

bigger than my factory 78's???
    [​IMG]

8. stockk5

ah nice rootbeer,, i like ur thinking how u mounted yours, i guess ill try to mount mine like that, bascially the same thing..

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well that is the stock mounting location and stock hooks....

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have some tow hooks from a 1999 Freighliner Century Class. If they are good enough for an 80,000 pound truck, they are good enough for my K20. The only problem I can see with mine would be the strap coming off. I wouldn't use the small $7.99 tow hooks from ebay for any type of pulling. Factory tow hooks are ok for light duty pulling - remember that Chevy didn't design their tow hooks to pull a truck on 40's out of mud up to the door handles! :yikes:

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine had these tow hooks on his '87 K10. The bottom bolt snapped and pulled the hook up through the bumper so that it stuck straight out. Not to rip on your stuff, I just don't think that they are a safe design because of how they mount.

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

those hooks are the factory 73-80 hooks, the 81-87 frame hooks are designed differently. i don't think there is enough meat on the frame of the newer truck to use these hooks there.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yes, they are slightly different in appearance, but the same concept - 2 bolts through the frame with leverage applied to them via a big hook hanging under the bumper. I would rather have a hook that pulls a straight even force on all on the bolts (like 88-98 trucks) than a hook that applies leverage to them.

Not his truck, but the same hooks:
    [​IMG]