Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'99 350 engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skyblazer, Nov 6, 2000.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

\'99 350 engine

I found a 99 350 truck engine for $1250 in the classifieds and am considering this for my 72 blazer. Are the 99 chevy truck engines TPI like the 2000s? Any pros and cons to making the conversion? Looks like a cheaper alternative to buying aftermarket FI + I get a relitively new engine to boot.

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Re: \'99 350 engine

I say go for it!! You know that a '99 isn't going to have many miles on it and those vortecs kick butt!! Just be sure to get ALL of the wiring harness and computer etc. Also, you'll have to have a O2 sensor bung welded into your exhaust somwhere. As far as whether or not it's TPI, you'll have to see it to know. It probably isn't, but they mixed and matched with the new vortecs for that year model.

If it's a new style vortec, you've got a major project on your hands as they are completely different from the old style small block. You'll have to remove the crossmember from the donor truck and make it fit your truck and all of the accessories are unique to that engine style as well. You can't use the water pump or any brackets off of the old small block.

It would be a lot of work, but it'd probably kick butt when you got it done. Check it out, if it's the old style small block, (TBI), then jump on it, if not, well be sure to check everything out before you start.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I may be wrong, but think they are TBI (throttle body), not TPI (tuned port).......

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I may be wrong here too, but I thought the 96 and up 350's (255hp) were a hybrid FI system, not TPI and not really a TBI either. Some wierd kind of port injection.
    Didn't the 99's all come with the new 5.3Liter, with the coil on plug ignition etc? Or was 99 a 'bastard' year motor wise?

Rene

[​IMG]

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You have a project on your hands that will end up costing you lots more money that you think. 99's are OBD-II engines, and IIRC they have 4 O2 sensors and 2 cats. Also, for $1250 I don't inagine that you are getting a harness and ECM, so add another $1000+ for those 2 items. Add another $125 or so to get the ECM reprogrammed (no electronic trans, ABS, passkey, etc).

Oh yeah, it has the 96+ vortec intake system which consists of a plastic port-injection intake manifold. A very good system.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash