Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 454 Vortec

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheGeneral, Jul 24, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Wife has 454 Vortec (99) What are the performance besides a supercharger that I can do that don't effect computer, or how do you mod the computer chip? Not sure if Hypertec works on it. I am now running 32's on it and a K & N filter, Would like to lower the temp a little, run some headers, but will I get any returns due to computer. Got to love computers.

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think the only thing you can get from Hypertec for your 99 454 is the Power Programer III. You plug it in the OBD2 port and you can reset the computer's engine and trans operating paramaters. You Plug it in and punch a few buttons and you are done. They change things like Rev Limit, Top Speed, Trans Shift points. And modify the timing and fuel curves slightly for better performance.. If you add Headers and a better breather system I think one of these Programers would bring the most out of them. Hypertech also has a thermostat is made to work with the programer.
    If you are going to run headers I think It would be best to run a set of smog legal headers. They dont affect the computer and have the ports for the O2 sensors.
    The Edelbrock TES is a good Header/Exhaust system for a Truck. Its what I run and I like it. It was easy to install and has no affect at all on the computer.

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

Is it a tanawanda motor? If so, you can bore it 100 over, go 9.5:1 compression and make it a 502 that will run on pump gas and give you some serious power! I had a '99 454 and did it just before the drag race mags started doing writeups on it. Hell of a block and GM didn't even know it...or did they?

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is a tanawanda motor and how do you identify it?

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I got mine by mistake but as I recall, the valve covers actually say Tanawanda on them. A GM Tech at the local dealership told me that the Tanawanda motors were built to a more rigorious detail than the "normal" big block motors and they were built specifically at the Tanawanda plant. I can't remember if the motor was an upgrade or what the deal was to be honest but I know they came in the heavier duty pickups in '99. There are probably more ways to determine if a block is one but I don't know the block identification number to do so. I sold the motor more than 5 years ago but I wish now that I had it back because it sure would fit nicely in the Blazer.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got one of the Tonawanda 454's in the garage. It was purchased 3 or 4 years ago as an over-the-counter crate engine. It's got really nice looking cast aluminum valve covers with black crinkle paint and a big logo in the center that says 454 By Tonawanda Engine. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I doubt that I'll be boring it oversize any time soon though! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif