Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 Bonneville.....injector problems??

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by stallion85, Dec 4, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My wifes 99 Bonneville sometimes acts like the engine is starved for fuel. Every few days or so while you are accellerating it will sputter almost like the injectors are clogging up and then spraying again. I recently have replaced the plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, and ran a injection cleaner through the fuel system. It has been doing this off and on for about 3 months. Sometimes it will go a week or two without any problems.

The fuel pump sounds strong when the key is turned on.

Any ideas?

Also, I have seen some adds for a fuel injection service, does anyone know what this entails and if this would fix such a problem?

Thanks,

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First thing I'd try is a can of 44K. You'll need too get it from a garage, the stuff you buy at the parts house isn't as good as the 44K from a shop.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the real thing to do, would be to install a fuel pressure gauge, and see what it does when it is acting up. if you lose fuel pressure, then id start diagnosing the pump. ive seen several bonne's develop a water leak in the driver's door area, and allow water into the ground pack that grounds the fuel pump. the ground pack in question is right beside the driver's seat under the carpet near the sill plate.

could also be a crankshaft positon sensor acting up. try to get the engine hot and then tap (tap, not pound) on the sensor with a long prybar or screwdriver (with the engine running). if it spits or sputters, then youve got your problem.

ryan

4. stallion85

Would you be able to tell me where this sensor is? I think the fuel pressure gage would not be very feasable due to the irregularity (sp?) of the problem.

FYI

I forgot to mention I ran it for codes and nothing came up??

Thanks for the help guys.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

crank sensor is located behind the harmonic balancer, would be on the driver's side of engine if the engine was installed the "right" way. you should see a 4 wire connector going to it about level with the ac compressor.

ryan

6. stallion85

Thanks, I will check it out :wink1: