Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 burban 5.7. intake leaking water

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 87GMCJimmy, Oct 21, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Has anybody heard of this? I can't see exactly where the waters comming from but it's leaking down the backside of the block. How hard is it to pull off intake and reseal it. How how long should it take?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Joey D

Joey D Registered Member

GM did have some trouble with the intake gaskets on the Vortec motors.
    I would have thought by 99 they would have fixed them. Easy fix just takes time.

3. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

I have a 1999 tahoe, old body style, that had the same problem when I bought it. Lucky for me dealer agreed to fix it at his cost. It is a about $100 in parts job and figure on a long afternoon of work, Be VERY aware of setting the timing on it when you are done becaue they cant be timed with a conventional timing light. GM has a TON of problems with the pink antifreeze and this is one of the major probelms that causes the leak here in the first place. Be sure to flush the system very well and put in the good old tried and true green stuff. If ya got any questions, feel free to email me and I will help ya out.
    Andy

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Ya, mines the old body style w/ the 5.7, I have a friend with a 00 truck with the 5.3 and really prefer the torque range on the 5.7 better. This is a my dailey driver, do you know what would be a fair price for a shop to fix this. I've put up with adding a little water every 2-3 weeks for a couple of months now. I just keep a very close eye on the temp gauge. I really need to get this fixed.

thanks,
    mike

5. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

My brother in law runs a repair shop and he charges $250 to do one amd that includes all new gaskets as well as flushing the radiator. Where I bought my tahoe at told me they charge $350 to do it but that was a GM dealership.
    Andy