Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99-C F#rd Super Duty Shock Mounts? (Kinda long, Sorry)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

We have a couple sets of these laying around our shop from lift kits and various other projects. Is anyone using these instead of the older mounts? Got any pics of yours installed. Also, is it better to keep the rear shocks outboard of the frame or run a custom bracket and have them pointing inward. Which way is best for articulation and ride? Sorry for being so long and the multiple questions.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There is a post I made that recently resurfaced which has pics and info on using those. I've got them on my K5.

Outboard is always better for control. But many people inboard them to effectively increase the shock length by angling them AND to be able to fit longer shocks without dropping below the axle or going up with hoops into the bed. In-boarding creates a sort of pivot point where the body just wants to rock on the shocks with little movement in the shock piston, so little or no significant control of body roll. I prefer to kick them forward along the frame rails instead of in, but you still need a stiffer valved shock to maintain control even without the pivot effect. The same geometric characteristic that makes a shock *effectively* longer by placing it on an angle also makes it effectively weaker in controlling movement/acceleration of the body mass.