Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 chevy silverado starting problem

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by fubar_k5, Jun 23, 2009.

1. fubar_k5

fubar_k5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 99 silverado with a 5.3 lt. ive been having problems starting it lately ive checked fuel pressure at the rail thats good replaced the fuel pressure regulater i think the problem aint fuel related.
    when I go to start it the first try i can just crank and crank on it and it wont even fire like its got no spark at all. Then I stop then try it again and it will do the exact same thing. Most of the time its the third try then it fires right up with out a problem.
    Ive hooked a computer and doesnt read nothing thats wrong with it. Ive lived with this problem for quite a while and lately its starting annoy me a little bit. Any help or things i can check would help out alot. Oh and the truck is completely stock if that helps. thanks

2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fuel pump maybe? If you turn the key to on and leave it for a bit and turn it over will it start up like it should?

3. fubar_k5

ive tryed that but with same result its still like the second or third try then it will start right up. the thing i dont get if it was the fuel pump you would think after cranking on it for while it would atleast fire or something it just keeps turning over with no fire at all.

4. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

Pop the hood, find the underhood fusebox, have a buddy turn it on, (don't turn over though) you should hear a click from a relay in that box. If so, the fuel pump relay is good.

Next get under the truck by the fuel tank, and do the same thing. You may have to listen closely, but you should hear the pump run for a few seconds. If so, your pump is good.

Then, look at the dash when you turn the key on, and look for the SECURITY light. It should go out after a few seconds. If not, it may be your starter. If the light stays on, the starter solenoid is going bad and not making an electrical contact making the computer think you have a bad key (non-transponder)

Sometimes you may have to wait several minutes for the light to go out, and when it does, all will work fine. I bet it stutters for a second on the first try, then nothing. Pull the starter and have it bench-tested.

Since your truck is ten years old, The pump may be going bad. To test that, take a 2"x4" and hit the tank (not hard) before the first crank, but after you turn the key on. If it starts up right away, the fuel pump motor has a flat spot and will need to be replaced.

I had to replace both on my Yukon with 6 months of each other.

Hope that helps.

5. fubar_k5

thanks that gives me some stuff to check ill check it out today and ill get back to you let you guys know the results. thanks again

6. fubar_k5

i checked the security light thats good tryed checking the relay i think i heard it lol couldnt tell though ill wait till i get a buddy over and help me check that and the pump.