Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99% DONE! lotta pics to..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Sep 4, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well i replaced the rear floor of my 87 k5.. and the rockers. today i welded in the final part of the rear floor so its ALL DONE! and i finished one of the rockers today, and tmarow should be the next one then its all just final prep stuff and paint, WOOO HOOO i am getting REAL sick of the lil cavalier i have been driving. check it out what it looked like when i cut everything out.. i added in some what i thought were cool pics of me and my dad workin on it..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

COOL DEAL! Gotta love rust repairs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I dont know why but this picture scares me a little
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

The welding pics are always cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. stockk5

yeah that pic might be scary, dont worry that jack isnt holding up anything. The truck is on big ass wooden platforms that was just so i could level it out suspension wise.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Been there and done that many times--2 many in fact!.Nice job!.The part I hate most about rust repairs is no matter how much you sanblast,weld,grind,bondo,etc--it only takes about 5 years to look just like it was when you started around here--and there usually isnt any "second time around"most times the second rust out is the last,because the frame looks like the rockers and floors did the first time. I think they should have made a K5 out of stainless steel,like a delorean! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifand dipped it in rhino-liner!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. stockk5

when u first replaced it did you coat it in anything when u put it back in? im primering it, then rhyno lining it, and then carpet.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have tried just about everything--POR-15,Rustoleum,Rust-Mort,undercoating,driveway sealer,asphalt roof coating,you name it,I brushed it on my truck--they all work well for a few years,but mother nature,calcium cloride road salt,and the clay gooop at the landfill that hardens like concrete all act like battery acid,and peels everything off--and about 5 years later,your looking for another truck thats not as rusty.Its a losing battle around here,trying to keep a rig rust free--the best way I've seen is spraying the entire vehicle underneath and the engine compartment with used motor oil,if you can get it from a diesel engine it stays on longer thanks to all the soot--It makes it messy to work on,(and the EPA doesnt approve)but at least the truck will still be there to fix!.My friends grandmother has a 66 Impala that is still in like new condition bodywise,because the gas station who changed her oil all theese years sprayed the drain oil under the car after each oil change(maybe so they didnt have to pay to get it hauled away?!)and it looks like brand new underneath.Thats what I'm going to do,twice a year drown it with oil--it works great,and its free too! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifI hear linseed oil works too,and it makes mud removal after wheeling much easier,cause it wont adhere to it as well. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

man im sooooooooo glad where i live i dont have to deal with that "rust" stuff. gives me the willies just thinking about that much cancer. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

but the desert does suck in other ways though... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif