Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 seirra 4.3 to 5.3 will it fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backwoods99, Feb 1, 2006.

1. backwoods99

backwoods99 Registered Member

i have a 99 gmc seirra i want to upgrade from a my 4.3 what v8 options do i have with the least mods?

2. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

The only real options are a 5.3 or a 6.0. Personally I would go with the 6.0. BUT this engine swap, 5.3 or 6.0, is damn costly and a PITA. Go to the fullsizechevy forum and search on this swap. A lot of guys in their late teens early twentys have looked into doing this swap. Their parents bought them a truck with a 4.3 because it was cheaper and they thought it would keep them out of trouble. From what I read, I can't see how its worth it. I would give serious consideration to selling what you got and buying a used truck with the 6.0. They came in the 2500s and 2500HDs and also 1500 HDs if you did not want a 2500.

The only thing I am not sure about is if you want a street truck for speed, which usually means a two wheel drive 1500 in a standard cab or a ext cab, you might be forced to do the swap if you want a 6.0. I think the 1500HDs were/are all 4x4 and maybe some years they were crew cab only? Someone else will have to confirm or correct me on this.

BTW, it might take longer to find, but the 1500HDs were made in the 99-01 years. That way you get the good looking front end instead of the current slanty eyed crap. And it will be cheaper too. Of all the front ends from the past three decades I think one from that era with a 2500HD hood is by far the best looking.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sell the truck and buy one already equipped.....seriously

4. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

The 2500 from 99 to 2001 was what is now the 1500HD. It was a light duty 3/4 ton, and they just went to put neater name onto it. The 2500 and the 2500HD had different front ends, and the 2500HD has a taller hood( I believe for a taller radiator). But if you look at 1500HD and the older 2500 they have the same ride height.

When it went to the 1500HD I believe you are right, it was a crew cab option only.

IMHO 2500HD is the only was to go, but when shopping for a used one, being sure to check the steering out good, they had lots of problems with gear boxes and linkage, even in the 1/2 ton models. My dad has an 03 1500 z71 with 20,000 miles, and the gear box had to be replaced under warrenty. They get reall tight.

5. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

I could have sworn that they had 1500HD with the 99-01, (or what ever years it was), straight light front end. There was one at a local truck shop that had a lift on it. Thats why I remember it. It was crew also. I seem to recall that for a year or so they lost the 1500HD and then brought it back.

Personally if I was gonna get a 2500HD it wouldn't be with the 6.0. The 8.1 and the Duramax are far better choices.

6. backwoods99

thanks!

selling the truck would be my best bet but it dosent have a motor or tranny in it. they whent in to a smaller truck now im looking for some ideas about what to go with next. i tried to put a (dont slap the screen) carbed 350 with a 350 trans in it but i ran into some motor mount and space problems so i put it in a diffrent truck now im looking for to take a diffrent route its a great looking step side truck and im open to any ideas thanks!

7. backwoods99

thanks!

!!!!