Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'99 Silverado straight axle swap?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by GRAYTEXK5, Jan 29, 2005.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hey everyone, I have a '99 ext. cab Z71 Silverado (1/2 ton, "new" body style), that will be paid off soon...and I wanna start planning now for a straight axle swap on it. does anyone know anything about doing this swap on one of these...how difficult, how expensive, what all parts I'll need, etc.? I've seen kits from ORU for the 88-98 body style, and for 01 and newer HD subs and avalanches....but I don't see anything for a '99 1/2 ton. does anyone know if they make one? or has anyone else on here done this swap? any help, links, etc. anyone could give me, would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try these guys www.setstr8.com thay have some nice parts. i have installed there tracksion bars and were good quality.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine just got done installing a Ford D60 under his '03 2500HD using the Fabritech kit. It was real easy to do. He still needs to get a slip yoke eliminator for his front t-case output so he can have a front shaft made.

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. do you happen to know if the fabritech kit comes with everything you need to do the swap? obviously I'll have to find an axle, and springs, but...just as far as all the hardware goes? and was there alot of cutting and welding involved? I'm sure it will be a little different on mine, being a 1/2 ton, but...just wanted to get a general idea of what their kits are like. I don't really wanna call them up just yet, because it will be a while before I'm actually ready to do it, but...just trying to gather any info I can for now. thanks.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The Fabritech was complete and even included the steering parts. Everything was bolt-on. You would position the brackets with existing frame holes and then drill a couple extra holes for the rest of the bolts. He did have to cut out a crossmember on the front that held the lower a-arms, but no welding was needed. With a taller lift spring (he used 4" springs) the crossmember could have stayed on the truck so it could be returned to stock if he wanted to.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Those have a slip yoke FRONT? I need to crawl under Dad's 2500HD when I get home apparently.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, it's a strange design. The driveshaft of course is a solid piece with out a slip in it, and it has a male splined shaft on the end that fits into a female spline piece that is the t-case front output. By doing it this way the female spline piece in the t-case has the seal around it instead of sealing around the driveshaft yoke, so he can just take his d-shaft out and no fluid is lost. It's kind of different than the 208 style slip yoke. My friend's is an '03 with a 5 speed manual, I'm not sure when this design started or what year your dad's is.