Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 Suburban + 99 Silverado P\U Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I am currently having some issues with both of my vehicles! :mad:

I just bought a 99 suburban 133k miles from a dealership, got a good price for it in my opinion. It reaks like coolant and the heat is starting to fade away slowly im guessing it is the heater core (correct me if im wrong) the overflow was empty. I noticed it this morning and on the way home from work started getting cold air when the heat was on. no wet spots on the floor at all:confused:
    The 4WD button light sometimes turns off no matter if its in 2hi auto or 4hi\lo
    the steering feels like there is a hard spot in it and when driving around turns it seems like it goes to being lose sort of jerking a little in the direction im turning. the steering problem is really hard to describe it doesnt feel like the alignment is out at all or that bad.

My 99 Silverado 4.3 is having almost the same issue the water pump is going out and leaking.

im writing this because of my lack of time due to being a truck driver, and the amount of inconvienence this is causing me plus this rant is helping me cope with the problems that seem to be hitting me all at once.:D

I have an appointment for warranty work on Monday which is still a good ways away.

comments or suggestions about the suburban issues?

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

psssst... it's diesel...

anyways, fill it with coolant and run it til its warm, i believe those trucks/burbs when the h/c goes, it drains down the firewall.... take a look on the passengers side firewall, from the bottom and look for the leak... the steering issue is either in the shaft itself or the rack and pinion or gearbox...

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Is the sub a current body style truck or the 88-98 body style?

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Its a 99 GMC Burban with the 98 body style
    my 99 silverado has the new body style

I just want to make sure I track all the problems down and get them fixed right away. The place I have to take it to for warranty work is an hour away from where I live. there is no way to tell how long it is going to take them either.

As long as this thing has warranty im looking for a problem its 3month 30k mile warranty

5. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

ill check and see if i can see anything but im almost positive thats what it is, the smell that i smell is what i thought to be an indication of the heater core going bad\leaking.

I know that most other cars\trucks that leaked end up in the pass\side on the passengers feet I never knew that they designed some vehicles to leak on the outside what a brilliant idea hehe

Well im going to start my other truck and bring it to the garage so I can pull the water pump with my luck I hope everything goes smoothly. I hate the fact that there is no fill on the radior!

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Check the heater hose fitting on the intake (assuming its a 5.7). Leaking there perhaps could cause the problems. Or the heater core has just started to leak. Pressure testing the coolant system would be the sure way to find the leak. Some trucks had a heater bypass valve that could cause the lack of heat, so that would be another place to check. Usually located near the firewall. You didn't mention if it had rear heat or a/c, so that would be another place for a leak inside the truck.

The steering issue could be a steering gear, I've seen some problems from them. But checking all of the steering/suspension joints/links for play would also be a good place to start.

The 4wd light is probably a switch. Could be other problems, but you would need to check the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM) for trouble codes. You'd need a scan tool to do so.

7. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I think that the tcase service light has to be lit up to be able to pull a code but again im not positive.

It does have the rear ac\heat controls for the people in the back.

im a newbie on these newer burbans. I didnt follow everything after 1988 especially with all the extra options. I only had this thing for a week so im still getting to know the vehicle.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

There should be a trouble code stored in the memory no matter what. Light on or off shouldn't matter. That is if it set a trouble code.

BTW, I love the external resiviors on the coolant system. Much easier to get all of the air out of the system, and easy visual checks on coolant level.

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

The steering problem could also be the EVO sensor which does something to help low speed turning. Its a fairly common problem....

10. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

The new body style 'burbs started in '92. The old square boxes ended in '91. I have the latter.

11. Confedneck79K30

new body style he is referring to is the 99-05 or so body style, the square body style is 98.5 down to 92...

12. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I thought this was square...
    [​IMG]

13. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

this is the style im talking about just before they cahnged it to the newer style

[​IMG]

14. Confedneck79K30

well heck, there's a newer style than the new style lol

15. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The steering on the '99 sub (GMT400 series trucks) is what's called the EVO (Electronic Variable Orifice) sensor. These trucks have what's called variable effort steering, the sensor,located at the base of the steering column inside the truck detects how fast your turning the wheel. They are notorious for going bad and causing the exact problem you describe, the jerking, hard to soft effort.

GM part number 26600468 (Check with your dealer, I replaced mine a few years ago, they may have revised it since)

16. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the input I want to be able to give them some what of a clue to what might be the probelms with it when it goes in for warranty work. I dont want to make 10 million trips to get it fixed since i have to drive an hour to get there.

as for my 99 silverado vortec v6 im having a hell of a time getting the fan\clutch off but slowly and surley its going to come off just hope it is sooner than later.

that 99 actully is the body style after the 99 burban.

17. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Well I got the water pump fixed a while ago but found out after a week that the burb only has the power train warranty. I am going to have to do this myself.

I have a few questions about how to remove the rear heater core, I know I have to drain out the A\C but how do I get those hoses off the heater core on the underside? of the truck. This will be the first REAR heater core I have ever done and the hoses for it sort of look like hydraulic lines with some kind of pin on two sides.

thanks for your help I hope I can get this done sooner than later, I have had a horrible day for the last 2 1\2 months:D

o yeah just found out that i need to get some new oxygen sensors for the 99 silverado truck $65x2:eek1:

and one last thing if anyone knows is that steering sensor a dealer only item? I have yet to check napa but so far everyones saying its dealer only.

18. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

The lines going the rear core can be tricky. There is a GM special tool to release the clips in those lines but it can be done w/o it but be careful when
    depressing the tabs because if I remember you can't get those clips by themselves if they break. Oh yeah and don't be laying under it when you pull the lines off 'cause you'll get a nice dexcool shower. As far as I know the EVO sensor is a dealer only item, but since I work at one I've never looked anywhere else for it. If it would help at all & you have access to a fax machine I could printout the service procedure for this stuff and fax it to 'ya?
    Good luck either way:D

19. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The steering sensor is dealer only, as far as I know.
    It's not too bad, I think I paid $45 for it.

20. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

in '99 they made both bodystyles...the 1 he shows a pic of looks just like both of my my 96's. they made those bodystyles with the 5.7 and the 2000 body style was available in '99 with the 5.3 and the 6.0L titled as '99's. my dad has one of each, he bought the newer style 1st, then when he found a '99 with the 5.7 that has the older body style, he bought it. hoping 1 of the 2 will be a collectors item!
    i'm also in the process of buying a '99 with the 92-98 bodystyle, all of these that i am talking about are tahoes, but i don't think that matters.
    the pic he shows is definitly a 92-98(early'99)body style all the way down to the rims! and he says its a '99.
    the 2000 body stlye titled as '99's are far and few between but i've seen 1/2 dozen myself.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006