Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 Tahoe.. front rotor upgrade question.. anyone done this? read more.

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by rocko, Apr 23, 2003.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Well.. we have 6 inches of lift on the Tahoe.. 3 inch body lift, 3 inch suspension lift. It has 35 inch tires on 15x10 rockcrawlers. Just replaced the tie-rods..got it aligned, now it's a little bit better.. but when my wife uses the brakes.. it shimmy's like crazy... it feel's like the wheel moves back and forth and pulls to the right.

Now I've heard that GM uses too small of a rotor.. and that it can easily warp with the strain of the bigger tires.
    Is there and upgrade out there and has anyone else had this problem? feel free to send my wife or I a resonse.. or respond here.. Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that Baer and Wilwood both offer brake upgrades for your Tahoe, but the price is pretty steep. If I recall correctly, the Baer kit costs something like $1,600! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif :me_passing_out: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Never heard of GM having problems with warped rotors, no matter how big the tires, but whats the rotor thickness you are dealing with? The '73-87 C/K rotors are 12"x1.25" thick.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry...
    The 99 Tahoe rotor's are thin... and the guy's at the parts store were weary of turning them.. The guy told me it's a rotor pressed onto a stamped piece of metal so it fits on the front spindle... I don't particularly like how's it's done.. but that's what we're stuck with.
    Or just sell the tahoe !!! and buy us a new Chevy HD 2500 with the duramax and allison !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif