Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'99 Tahoe Solid axle swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stickles911, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Stickles911

Stickles911 Newbie

I have a '99 chevy tahoe with a 6" lift and 35" tires.. I love the truck, and it seems fairly capable, but i'm not used to (or a big fan of) the independent front suspension. Compared to my '89 K5 it seems frail. Although it hasn't given me any trouble so far, I've been toying with the idea of swapping out the IFS with a solid axle. I have acccess to a shop with all the the necessary equipment, but I would like to know more about it before i get too serious. So, if anyone could help me out with things like, "pro's and con's", difficulty of swapping it, and how much of a difference it would really be. Also, what should the donor vehicle be and will a solid axle work with my current transfer case?? etc.. Thanks for any help you can give me!
    -bryan

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

my friend did a SAS on his 99 burb. it used to have a 6" lift and 35s, now it has 12" of lift and 38 boggers:D but the hardest part was to MEASURE, MEASURE and MEASURE. and a couple companies make kits. its just a lot of measuring,we thought we were perfect about 3 times over until everything matched up perfect the 4th time measuring at different points. and for a front axle the best u can get is a D60 from a '79 ford. it is driver side drop like u need for the transfer case. just be sure to do a lot of research online and ask questions to get the right answers before u do it. but its definitely a cool mod to do. check on www.kissmydiff.com its a site for my friends and I. the build thread is in the forum.

3. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member