Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 Vortec motor to carb converion ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ABLAZN, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

I have a 5.7 Votec out of a 1999 Tahoe that I am putting into my Blazer. My first intention was to do the EFI conversion with it, but after a lot of research, I found just to many issues and expense to deal with to get it back on the road. I am thinking of just going the carb route for now, and may do a after market EFI later. I think I have all the bases covered for the conversion, but wanted run it by some of you here to make sure , or see if I missed anything before I get started. First I need a Vortec intake and a carb with a electric fuel pump tofeed it. Second, I need a HEI for an ignition with the hard distibutor gear. Third, I have found a company that make a wiring kit that lets me use the Tahoe high amp alternator. Also I understand that the timing chain cover may need to be replaced, since the stock one has a sensor in it. I think that the standard SBC headers will work, and the starter should work as will. Any thoughts or something I missed ?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , if you don't have all the "stuff" , and its an older vehicle thats already carbed , go for it .

I would prefer to run injection if I had all the components , but stand by my Quadrajet as its cheaper , and works .

Do you have any of the injection components ?

3. ABLAZN

ABLAZN Registered Member

I have almost all the stock EFI parts since I bought complete rolling chassis from a 1999 Tahoe. There were a few things stripped, but not to bad. The problem is expence right now. Just the harness rework and computer reflash runs $850-$1000, plus add a custom gas tank at$500-$1000 (the $1000 is DOT approved) . I need the custom tank because there are no OEM tank that will fit right under my 1st generation Blazer. All that plus dealing with getting the Vehicle Speed sensor hooked in to get the 4L60-E to work was a pain. I figured a honest $2500-$3000+ to do it RIGHT. Believe me, I think that the EFI is really cool, but what I use this my Blazer for, I can't warrent the cost. It is a road rig that will be going to car shows and cruise-ins during the summer.

I may later look at putting on something like a Ram-Jet, since it is a direct bolt on and is much cleaner wiring wise. Right now though, I am looking at the carb converion to get it on the road and was wondering what I needed to do to get it going. I know that is is being done, but want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I start in.