Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

99 Z71 engine Transmission and transfercase

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by monte0172, Dec 17, 2002.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I have found a donor Z71 for my 79 blazer. I know i can swap the engine out and add the computer and wiring harness with no probs my question is the tranny and transfer case. I currently have a th350 and np203 full time tranny and case. would it be wise to go newer or to keep the older stouter stuff? also what exactly is in the 99 for a transfer case? I havent looked to be honest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Crawl under '79 and then under the '99 to check and see which side the front driveshaft is on. Then think about if you were to swap the tranny/t-case into the older truck, what are you gonna do about the front axle on each truck? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have a good strong setup, just put the engine in and call it a quits.
    You don't want a Ford axle in the front do you?
    Your only option other than an IFS is a Ford axle if you use the 99 Tcase /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, what iceman said...use the motor and call it quits. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys!!! Thats what i was thinking about the engine but i did not even think about what side the axle was on. Thanks for the help!!!

6. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Id try to see if I could find a cheap ford front first ( yeah yrah ford parts on a chevy but how many of you have ford shock towers or 57"springs...thats what I thought.) If I couldnt find on then leave it...Id just try to swap everthing because a 99 is the new silverado no? im sure the computer would get a little confused If it wasnt talking to the transmission. so I would atleast try to keep that with it.

7. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Im not sure i can because of the crossmember that th350 and the 203 connect to. Im thinking that it might bolt up still but havent broken it apart to see. But it would be nice for the 700r4 to work because of when i lift it the gears im gonna need to run the 38" tsl's are gonna be in the 5 range. "Next Years Project!!!"

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

hey, I would use anything that works for me, and after all it's a dana axle not ford.
    I just like to feed the fire, you know some people here think it's sacreligious to use ford parts so I joke about it.
    I only have a problem with ford cars and SUVs because the saying fits:
    FORD = Fix or replace, definitely.
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    hey, I would use anything that works for me, and after all it's a dana axle not ford.
    I just like to feed the fire, you know some people here think it's sacreligious to use ford parts so I joke about it.
    I only have a problem with ford cars and SUVs because the saying fits:
    FORD = Fix or replace, definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same...when I put on my ford shock towers I ground off the ford logo on the inside...now there no longer ford and gain 50% in strength /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also back the the engine thread maybe a crossmember for a 700r4 would work hech maybe all you would have to do is just move your orginal crossmember back a few inches and drill some new holes. If I was doing It id make the new trans and tcase fit some how some way. I know those things are total connected because in my friends 2002 he had a fault shift servo?? i think it was and the computer saw it told him and went into limp home mode. if the the tranny wasnt talking to the computer at all ( IE not there cause its a th350 ) I would think It would go WTF IM SCREWED and send up all kinds a flags and alarms... could tryit and find out.

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The computer is connected to the tranny because it tells it when to shift.

If you want to use the older transmission you might see if you can find a manual tranny wiring harness and/or computer. Might be able to just swap computers or have it reprogrammed.

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Failure on race day!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

You are definetly correct there!! I was doing some research from my buddies at the local dealership and they all said the same thing. Looks like some modifying is going to be in order.. Oh well itll be fun!!!