Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9c1 Police cars, anyone know where to get info?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 4, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've got a motor out of a 1989 Chevy Caprice 9C1. Its a 350, two bolt mains, with factory roller camshaft. Had an electronic QJet on top of the intake and thas all I know about it. I want to try and find out what camshaft it has. Someone told my buddy it is an L98 camshaft but we can't find any other sources to prove this. I'm builing a 383 stroker motor out of it and would hate to choke the damn thing with a simple stock camshaft. Though I am going to be choking it with an upgraded TBI.

2. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt a 91 cop car motor for my blazer. Stock short block, bored over, sportsman II heads, performer RPM intake, holley 750, corvette manifolds, and it pulls like a freight train. Stock cam. For moneys sake, I would keep the stock cam and get some 1.6 roller rockers. Small cam=Torque, Big cam=horsepower. Which do you want?

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

This time I read your WHOLE post. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I read a lot over at the Impala SS Forum (a lot of LT1 stuff, but do cover older B- body material)and I seem to recall reading that the TBI 9C1 engines had the L98 Cam. You might want to do a search over there to confirm or post up the question. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Everything i have read about the 9c1 engines said they have the L98 cam. The L98 cam is compatable with TBI But you need the chip for it. You can get one from GM. Not sure how it would work on a 383 tho

6. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Turbo City can probably burn a good chip for your computer. If the cam is in fact an L98, you should be able to just tell them that (along with the other motor info), and the chip should be good for what you're doing.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not worried about getting a chip, I will probably have Turbo City burn mine. I know I will need one, with the 383, different valvetrain and head work. BUt I know I need to know exactly what the camshaft is to go with that.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin' the only way to really "know" what you've got for a cam will be to actually measure it.
    OR, did GM by chance stamp/engrave/cast/forge/whatever some kind of identifier into their cams someplace? If they did, it might be worth the effort to pull the cam out and check (if it's not out already).

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its out, but its with the block at the machinist, I will look when i get it back.