Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

)_(*&#@%*$&_)&%_#@Q&_)(*##########%_+)(*&

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

This is jus tone of those days where everything that can go wrong does. So here's the story of my last couple days.. Got all the stuff to do a brake job, rotors, pads, caliper rebuild kits. And all new wheel bearings and races. Start tryin to rebuild the caliper, Frickin piston won't come outta the bore. Mess withit for 45 minutes and finally get it blown outta there with the air compressor. (that was kinda cool...LOUD) Anyways, get them all cleaned up and ready to go back together, and I can't get the new rubber seal thingy from the rebuild kit seated in the caliper. Messed with that for half an hour before the seal was destroyed. Get the other seal from the other kit and it goes in in like 10 seconds...WTF? Got the drivers side almost done last night, then realized I forgot to get the grease seal for the back of the hub. $hit. And AutoZone was closed. No biggy, I'll get them today. So today I got some seals and another caliper rebuild kit. Get the tire off and go to remove the lock out...3 of the frickin allen bolts break off in the hub. ARGHHH! 2 of the stripped out, and one actually came out like it was supposed too..Got a drill and drilled out the stripped one. Got the hub out and it fell aprt in about 3 pieces...Also noticed that the hub housing was full of MUD rather than the marine grease I had packed it with.......L:KJHTPGOIYEUFO!!!!!!!! Got the hub/rotor off...punched out the studs and got the hub housning cleaned up. Took the caliper off to rebuild it, cause I couldn't get everything else done without a new hub. The frickin bleeder screw wouldn't come off...So I gotta get a new caliper. By this time I'm frickin pissed off...But I still had a small amount of motivation left...And I needed to replace the rubber bootie/seal thing on the inboard end of the stub shaft..Thats easy, all I gotta do is take the spindle and backing plate off and there it is....Get the backing plate off, knock the spindle off with the mallet and turn it upside down to look inside, and the bearing inside there puked all the needle bearings out onto the floor....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was the end of the motivation for me....I stopped at AutoZone on the way home to see about that bearing, and the jack ass behind the counter said "Huh?" and gave me the 1000 yard stare.

I need alot of beer.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

CR makes a major seal kit that has all the stuff needed to redo the hubs completely.
    It was like 20 or 30 bucks per side.
    If ya have a die grinder and a carbide bit split the cage and take it out.
    Be careful installing the new bearings, they damage real easy.

3. Zeus33rd

I was able to get what was left of the bearing out with a hammer and punch through the end of the spindle. Just gotta get a new one now.

4. Zeus33rd

Anyone know what that bearing is called? Or better yet, a part#? I can't find it on AutoZones website...Or Kragens website. I told the Ass head at AutoZone I wanted a "spindle bearing"...I figured that would be what it was called....He just stared at me......

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I TOTALLY understand. I spend so much time like that I don't know what it's like otherwise.

Hope it all smooths out for ya!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Autozone doesn't stock, or even list, the spindle bearing. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I found a kit at Advanced Auto (Used to be Western Auto) that had the spindle bearing, spindle bearing seal, slinger, and the big seal that slips over the axle, for $10. You're asking for the right thing, but at the wrong store. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Pep Boys also carries the kit. I didn't find any local store that carried just the bearing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Do you have a part number or what they list the kit as?

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

rebuilt calipers are super cheap, you shold go that route, look on the positive, at least you found all those fawked up things in the drive way instead of something failing on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif good luck with your job it will pay off doing it all

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't have the part number, but it was just listed as a spindle bearing kit. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Federal Mog # is SBK3 for D60.I think the # is SBK1 for D44.Hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif