Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

a 10 bolt as strong as a 14 Bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Feb 6, 2004.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I dont remember where i heard this but, some one said that you can make a 10 bolt axle as storng as a 14FF by boring it out or something? If so how do you go about this process, and how much does it cost? Could you do it to both front and rear 10 bolts?
    Cory

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no no and umm no? Its just not gonna happen. 14 bolts have bigger axle shafts than a rear Dana 60, a 10 bolt just isn't gonna compare. I put an axleshaft from my 14 bolt next to my dad's 10 bolt circle track rear and laughed a lot at him /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Even if it could be bored and all you'd still have the 10 bolt caps, carrier, and R&P all of which are weaker than a 14 bolt.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i think it would be too much work and wouldn't boring it make the parts thinner and weaker? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mm hmm I have ESP and I forsee bent axle tubes... But I plan to jump my buggy and I bent a stock 10 bolt when the K5 was in stock form /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont remember where i heard this but, some one said that you can make a 10 bolt axle as storng as a 14FF by boring it out or something? If so how do you go about this process, and how much does it cost? Could you do it to both front and rear 10 bolts?
    Cory

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one! Thanks for the laugh today! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd say he should just go with a 12 bolt front axle...

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If that was the case we all wouldn't be in search of 14 FF & D60! I wish!
    Bill

8. k5 krawler 50

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

most of that thread is lots of people joking about stuff that won't work, like my just saying you should get a 12 bolt front, aka no such thing.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

They were just bs'ing with each other about making crap parts. Dont really know how to word it. Kinda like talking about muffler bearings etc. Search for cucumbers for body lift and its kinda like that post. Just makin fun of stupid stuff people talk about.

11. k5 krawler 50

I didnt think you could do such thing, but i just had to make a fool outta my self and find out the real truth. Thanks any ways
    cory

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

only one way to know

13. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We got that started in Chat one night after we had all had a few too many /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif It went for a while

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

also, if you see any parts from this site talked about (they come up from time to time) http://www.kalecoauto.com/ its all a joke (threw me the first couple times i heard about muffler bearings /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

That night was a riot. However, could have done without the headache the next day

16. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its all a joke (threw me the first couple times i heard about muffler bearings /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry to burst your bubble about muffler bearings but import car parts catalogs refer to those rubber muffler hangers as MUFFLER BEARINGS! That joke only worked for a few years til imports got so common!
    Bill

17. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

On a more serious note. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    People have made a 14FF carrier on a front axle fit. (read: drag diff). There are also a couple of guys that have put 14FF tubes and outers on a 12B pumpkin. This all requires a lot of custom work and a beyond good machine shop. I don't see it as a very reasonable option unless your last name is Camo.
    My .02
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif <-- sorry I haven't use him yet --> /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    its all a joke (threw me the first couple times i heard about muffler bearings /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry to burst your bubble about muffler bearings but import car parts catalogs refer to those rubber muffler hangers as MUFFLER BEARINGS! That joke only worked for a few years til imports got so common!
    Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually sell a muffler that has a propeller at the tip, it spins when the vehicle is running, low and behold it has a bearing in it.

19. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Did somebody say muffler bearing??

Here is a post I made awhile ago:

After seeing yet another post asking about muffler bearings, I have decided to post a quick article to help out the new wheelers in our group and bring them up to speed on some of our secret techniques.

When someone tells you to check your muffler bearings, do you know where to look? Many people will tell you "it's a joke, they do not exist". Well I'm here to tell you that those people are just trying to steer you down the wrong path because they realize that a properly adjusted set of muffler bearings can provide gobs of low-end torque to turn those 44" Boogers on the ends of both of your 10-bolts.

The first step in changing you muffler bearings is to remove the muffler from the vehicle. Many mechanics claim to perform muffler bearing maintenance with the muffler still mounted to the exhaust system but this is not practical for most of us since there are specialty tools that are needed that many of us do not own (left-handed pry bar, FNG wrench, a-hole spreader, etc.).

Once the muffler has been removed from the vehicle, carefully remove your Bearing Ulimate Tone Tuner-PLUG to get access to the bearing cone. With a pair of large tweezers, carefully extract the muffler bearing :

[​IMG]

Replacing your muffler bearing is as simple as just reversing the removal proceedures except you will need to head down to your local Ford dealer and purchase a Ford Aluminium Resizable Top wrench. This will allow you to adjust the clearance for the extra hi-temp muffler bearing grease. Important hint: Make sure you ask for the synthetic grease rated at 2000+ degrees. If you repack your muffler bearings with a lower heat rating, it will remove too much manifold heat. Due to government restrictions on the manufacturing of manifold heat, we are only able to get the artificial stuff called Diluted Unbalanced Heat.

After replacing your muffler bearing, it must be properly adjusted to your power band. Make sure you adjust your power band no higher than 10K RPM or you risk over reving your engine and blowing your alternator batteries. If that happens, you will have to replace your alternator AND all 6 batteries.

After properly tuning your muffler bearing, replace your Bearing Ulimate Tone Tuner-PLUG and install a high performance exhaust tip:

[​IMG].

Now your muffler bearings will last for another 10 - 50,000 miles before they need to be adjusted again.

Parts sources:

If your local auto parts store does not have the proper size bearing for your truck (most don't) then you can call: 1-800-386-2277(1-800-DUMBASS) or just visit the official website: www.IamsostupidIshouldbeshot.com .

If you are still having trouble, just send me $250.00 and I'll change them for you overnight. Just leave the truck out in the driveway and I'll take care of it while you sleep and you will never even know that I was there .... honest!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck and have fun!

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Quite a bit of work there, dang /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif