Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

A 10 BOLT QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moose35, Apr 25, 2001.

1. moose35

moose35 Registered Member

I have a 10 bolt in my Blazer and run 35 tires, and I have heard that they are really weak, although I've used mine for 10 years and not had a problem yet. I don't do alot of hardcore wheeling but I occasionally climb a few rocks. Is it worth all the $$ to replace and upgrade to another axle or could I just replace the 10 bolt innards with hardened stuff and get by. My motor is not a monster and I tend to be very conservative in the way I drive, both on road and off.

Due to limited funding, it's easier to keep the 10 bolt and build it. Warn's kit it to much $$ and I am trying to keep the wheels I have. Is hardening the 10 bolt a waste of money?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Go pick up a 12 bolt from a junkyard. Thats a cheap and stronger option. And the Moser axleshafts for the 12's are only $225 for the pair...another way to gain strength without spending huge cash for a full floater kit.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd just leave it alone until it breaks. I've broken three 12-bolts, a 10-bolt and the wimpy 7.5 inch rear in an S-10. All of the failures have been confined to the differential area (ring and pinion, spider gears, etc). I've yet to actually break an axle shaft so I'm not sure there's a great need for stronger axle shafts in the rear unless you're drag racing or jumping your truck.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...